Followers

Blog Archive

Reese & Ryan (You've Gotta Have Sexy) . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The news hit early this week that Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillipe were the latest Hollywood couple to file for divorce.


I can't say that I care very much nor was I particularly suprised as the pair had lasted 7 years, which in Hollywood terms is more like 40.

Now reports are coming out that Phillipe broke the camel's back by exchanging dirty text messages with Abbie Cornish, an Australian who is co-starring with Ryan in the upcoming movie "Stop-Loss."

That makes more sense than the initial stories which claimed no real reason other than the always vague "irreconcilable differences." The timing was suspicous to me, however, because Phillipe was finally getting work after years of appearances on the red carpet as Witherspoon's supportive husband.

"Crash" and "Flags of our Fathers" are big-time Hollywood movies. "Antitrust" was a giant pile of festering crap that made me want to jab my eyes out like this poor bastard after catching roughly 5 minutes of it on cable one night.


But back to the cheating angle. I can't say that I entirely blame Phillipe if this turns out to be true.

I'm not taking this position because of some male code of conduct or because I don't think monogamy has its place or even because I think favorably of Phillipe as I have strongly disliked his work with the exception of "Way of the Gun."

Anyway, my feeling is based more on a hunch about Witherspoon. I like Reese Witherspoon just fine, and I also find her very pretty. Pretty - not sexy.


I also respect that she seems professional as well as punctual and articulate.

Witherspoon has almost every quality I admire, but I do question her sense of humor as she seems like she could easily be an unrelenting task master at home.

This might be OK in the bedroom where if you don't do something right she'd make you do it again, however, on a daily basis I think this would grind you down and I also have to pivot back to the lack of sexy.

It's just my opinion that you've got to have a little sexiness oozing from you or things have a greater tendency to break down in the long run.

Not always. But sometimes the center cannot hold, and whatever qualities you find sexy must be thrown into that black hole or you'll plug that void with something or someone else.

Just a theory.

-BDS

10 comments

  1. SamuraiFrog Says:
  2. Well, if these means that we're going to be spared the sight of Ryan Philippe holding his wife's purse and looking at the ground while paparazzi call him "Mr. Witherspoon" in the future, then I'm glad this happened. I quite frankly don't understand why anyone likes Reese Witherspoon, and she seems like a particularly humorless, sexless woman. Plus, you know, she looks like some kind of irritating goblin-creature. At least people can stop pretending like they give a shit about Ryan Philippe as he sinks into his much-deserved obscurity.

     
  3. JLee Says:
  4. I agree about Reese about the pretty vs. sexy thing. I do like her, but she kinda reminds me of her character on "Cruel Intentions". But I think their demise is due to what is termed the "7 Year Itch". Actually, scientists say it's more like 4 years when people start to stray, (or want to) but stay together for principle, family, companionship, etc. Sad but true...especially in Hollywood. Actually in Hollywood, it's called the "7 month itch"

     
  5. Samuraifrog - I think that image of Phillipe trailing behind with her purse you mentioned is pretty fitting for a microcosm of their relationship. And if Witherspoon has a sense of humor, I've yet to see it displayed in public.

    Jlee - I've heard of the 7 year itch, but like the science behind it. I would agree that it would be more like 7 months in Hollywood. And I happened to like "Cruel Intentions" but it was almost entirely due to Sarah Michelle Gellar.

     
  6. nobich Says:
  7. I've always liked Reese Witherspoon but because she seems "nice" But.. I also knew that as soon as jlee mentioned "Cruel Intentions" your mind would be on Sarah Michelle Gellar its a given.

     
  8. Kayla Says:
  9. Ewww..the finger up the nose and out the eye is damn creepy!
    I agree that Reese is not sexy.
    But I do hate to see a marriage break up..especially with the 2 kids.
    I like your bedroom theory!
    Do it again if you didn't do it right the first time
    haha

     
  10. Nobich - You read me like an open book. But not a children's book if Cruel Intentions were involved.

    Kayla - I think it's a good theory as well, and I cribbed it from a movie (and I refuse to say which one). But I don't actively root against marriage - except when it comes to Britney and K-Fed.

     
  11. who doesn't root against the CHAOTIC marriage?

    i just saw an interview on reese a week or so ago. she was talking about how she and ryan make it work
    obviously, it didn't work

     
  12. Chris el da- They were always talking about how hard it was to make things work, and while it's not easy it shouldn't be THAT hard is it's a good relationship.

    Jackie - You're right as anyone could do a lot worse than nitpicking about pretty/handsome vs. sexy. Details. I happen to have time enough to pick apart these little items.

     
  13. I agree entierly. Sex without sexy is just plain boring.

    I always thought she would be a fizzer in the sack!

     
  14. I agree 100% as it would be like having sex with a dead, demanding fish ( Not that I know what's the like.)

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com