Followers

Blog Archive

$2 Dollar Productions Goes For $250,000 . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The deed has been done, and the fat will soon be in the fire because 2 Dollar Productions has just received a long shot at fame, fortune and bragging rights that will be used in conversations for the next 50 years.

That's right - we've officially been accepted as applicants for the second season of VH1's World Series of Pop Culture contest.


I happened to catch the first season, and at the time, I thought here is a contest for me to funnel my useless knowledge into something that pays out $250,000 to the winning team.


By a stroke of luck or fate depending on your point of view, one of the six casting cities for this next incarnation was Austin, TX and after filling out a lengthy (3+ pages) resume complete with picture, we just got a confirmed time for a mid-Febraury try-out.

My favorite resume answer I gave was to a question concerning 3 reasons why I felt that 2 Dollar Productions wanted to participate in the contest. That was simple I wrote, they would be:

1) To crush our enemies
2) To see them driven before us
3) To hear the lamentations of the women

If anyone knows where I stole that line from, I'm impressed and if not, this should help:


Surprisingly enough, our contest name will be 2 Dollar Productions, but 3 members are required to fill out a team, so my brother and I drafted one of his friends who is strong in music trivia to shore up our somewhat shaky knowledge.

Teams are strongly suggested, though not required, to dress somewhat alike, and we have decided to have t-shirts made with pictures of a couple of one dollar bills in the middle, "$2 Dollar Productions" written above the bills and "You Know You Want It" scrawled below the cash.

In addition, we are in the market for some really cheap and sleazy pastel linen jackets and even worse-looking loafers which will be worn sock-less with jeans.

We are also planning on having extra t-shirts made, so Xmas might come early for some lucky readers.

The selection process goes like this: All 3 team members take a written pop culture test and if we pass, then we meet with producers who determine if we get to compete with 7 other teams from Austin. If we win the Austin contest outright then we automatically get to go to New York for the actual game taping in March.

But even if we lose, the producers still have the choice to bring 1 - 2 teams out to NYC anyway if they think you'll make for good TV.

The game format pits a competitor from each team against one another with 5 questions each being asked from a particular category such as Tom Cruise movies or movie taglines or Old-School Rap.

A sample question from last year's show was:

Q: What name did Tom Cruise have to give to be admitted to the mansion orgy in "Eyes Wide Shut?"


A: Fidelio.

I knew it then and I know it now and if I ever set up an orgy, I will use the same password.

This will be far from easy, however, as a lot of these teams from last season were total trivia geeks whereas we simply have a head for remembering obscure things from movies, tv and music.

Some study hours will definitely be logged before February, but for now, we will revel in the opportunity and begin making inquiries into the linen jackets and finalizing our t-shirt design and production.

You know - the important stuff.

-BDS & JWS

18 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. How cool!! congrats and good luck. I have NO doubts your team will succeed!!!

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. That is fantastic!! Study hard and may the force be with you...

     
  5. Miss Ash Says:
  6. Congrats!! You MUST post a picture of your team in what sounds to be the best dressed outfit of the year. Loafers with no socks, pastel jackets...the yacht club will be so jealous!!

     
  7. Symplyamused - Thank you, and I'm glad you have confidence because I am not completely sold - yet.

    Jlee - Star Wars could easily be a category. We've got the Pop Culture trivia game coming and when we do, it will be like finals time in college.

    Miss Ash - Thank you and we will post pictures and keep this site updated in our quest. And I'm glad you like the look because we think it will go over well. It pays to look sharp.

     
  8. Congratulations! That is so cool. I always get ragged for the useless amount of trivia I have stored in my head. My husband won't play any kind of trivia game with me anymore. Sore loser!

     
  9. Anonymous Says:
  10. Congratulations, guys. I can't believe how long and convoluted the process is to be part of yet another crack-laced VH1 program, but I know you guys can do it! I look forward to seeing you on TV and telling my house full of cats, "I know those guys!" Well, sort of know them.

    Oh, even better, when the show premiers you should host a party at BDS' rockin' pad. And fly me out, natch.

    PS I'm a medium.

     
  11. nobich Says:
  12. That sounds like sooo much fun!!!
    You'll do great!!

     
  13. Sarcastic - This is exactly where that type of knowledge will finally pay off. With any luck at all. Thanks for the well wishes.

    Julia - You have a t-shirt reserved after we process the order, and I guess you have to screen the total wackos out of the process. We'll keep you abreast of the watching party plans, but don't count on the private jet - it's in the shop.

    Nobich - It will definitely be an experience and a good story at the very least. Thanks.

     
  14. Melissa Says:
  15. WOOHOO!!! That is so cool. Those linen jackets make me think of hurrachi sandles and Don Johnson...

     
  16. Kayla Says:
  17. Knew all that useless knowledge would come in handy one day!
    I saw a Blockbuster employee on Millionaire not long ago on their version of the Pop Culture contest.
    He was quite cocky, and blew it early. Went home with $1000.
    The moral? Study hard and be humble when you win the big cash!

     
  18. Anonymous Says:
  19. We will all be there to "lament" when you win!

     
  20. Melissa - We had Don Johnson firmly in mind when we came up with the idea, although we could never agree on who would be Tubbs. The debate rages on.

    Kayla - I try to be humbly cocky most days of the week, and in this case the humble part will be no problem. We're not half-bad at this stuff, however, there were people on last year's show who really knew their stuff and looked like they hadn't been outside in the general public in years. It's those people who I worry about beating. But thanks for the reminder all the same.

    Jlee - I hope the wails and lamentations stretch all across the U.S. and into parts unknown - and if they are victory wails then all the better. Start practicing now. Ha.

    Slopmaster - We have never played those bar trivia contests, although some teams from last year met doing exactly that same thing. The bar we typically drink at has no trivia, but more than 50 beers on tap and free bratwurst on Saturday (which saves us money to buy more beer). That being said, it might pay to start frequenting those trivia bars now that we're entering.

     
  21. Anonymous Says:
  22. Your wardrobe choices are great! You should also get some really thin gold chains to wear around your neck. That alone should trump all opponents. Watch out for the refrigerator while you are waiting to be on television. Oh to wear that dress again...

     
  23. Lucy Says:
  24. alRIGHT! Loafers with no socks! Congrats!

     
  25. Hey, thats awesome. Congrats. I say you both dress up as Conan, ala the pic in your post. Or maybe one of you can dress as Conan the other as Crocket. Wait a second!! I think I just stumbled upon an idea for your next script.

    Dig this: Crocket and Conan
    setting: either in Miami or wherever the fuck Conan the Barbarian took place. Either way, its gold.

     
  26. M - Thank you, and I was just thinking about the gold chains this morning on my drive to work. And what dress are you referring to? There was that one time, but I have a very good explanation.

    Luce - We need to find some cheap, ratty loafers ASAP.

    Jenni2222 - Nice to see you again, and thanks as we'll need all the luck we can get.

    Idig - That is a buddy comedy I would pay to see. Once we finish our current re-write, it just might work. And I don't know exactly where Conan was set, but Cimmeria or something like that comes to mind.

     
  27. Anonymous Says:
  28. The mom in Requiem for a Dream....

     
  29. Thanks. I believe the Mom was Ellen Burstyn. But I could always be wrong.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com