Followers

Blog Archive

Give Me Lust Or Give Me Death . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Sunday, November 12, 2006

"Lust is a world of bewildering dimensions, for it is that power to take over the ability to create and convert it to a force. Curious force. Lust exhibits all the attributes of junk. It dominates the mind and other habits, it appropriates loyalities, generalizes character, leaches character out, rides on the fuel of almost any emotional gas - whether hatred, affection, curiosity, even the pressures of boredom- yet it is never definable . . . " - Norman Mailer, "The Prisoner of Sex"

Mailer was right about lust as it's a necessary, but tricky ingredient in love and relationships and life in general.

Personally, I'm a fan of lust. I cradle it. Sometimes I harbor it and nurse it. It can be extremely cathartic to finally release this emotion onto something or someone, to let it run roughshod over your behavior and tap into that primitive animal instinct which often leads people to act like degenerate jackals.

This is not always a beautiful act to behold.

Lust is not meeting at a Society for Endangered Woodland Owls fund-raiser, and then exchanging witty banter over a bland veggie tray.


Lust is noticing a woman vamped out at pulsating club, catching her eye and then finding her in the bathroom where no words are exchanged and the only sound is the bass through the walls and faint swishing tone that her dress makes as it gets hiked up over her boots.

Two different things entirely.

But lust can take almost any form, and it doesn't have to be sexual. When I've been dieting for awhile, I often have a powerful lust for chicken fried steak with cream gravy and mashed potatoes.


Again, it is not necessarily a beautiful thing when I fulfill this emotion with a trip to Threadgills, however, it is extremely satisfying in a gluttonously decadent way.

The frequency also varies considerably with lust as my chicken fried fetish comes now and again, but my lust for Monica Bellucci happens nearly everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.


Lust needs to roll into relationships as well. As Harold Ramis told Mark Harmon in the little-seen movie, "Stealing Home" (a personal film favorite that is not great, but important to me nonetheless), "Lust is a key ingredient . . . I know because my marriage has not a speck of lust left in it."


Making it with anyone for an extended period of time is tough. Trying to accomplish it without a shred of lust to mix into that relationship cocktail is recipe for disaster and likely to yield something putrid like a "Sex on the Beach" rather than a Crown and Coke.

Despite the pitfalls and traps, the destruction and disillusionment, a life without some good old-fashioned lust is not one I care to live.

Lust is an emotion of extremes, which helps balance out the usual forces that call for mediocrity and restraint. I'm no advocate for unrelenting lust, however, if the choice comes down to some or none at all, I will always err on the side of lust.

Every single time.

-BDS

16 comments

  1. Dreamlover Says:
  2. I always feel guilty when I lust, must be my christian upbringing but it can definetly spice up a situation.

     
  3. BionicBuddha Says:
  4. Perhaps the balance between rationality and lust is the fine line which becomes very individualized, yet is shaped by media and societal norms?



    www.bionicbuddha.com

     
  5. Melissa Says:
  6. This is a really good post. Lust is like Technicolor, it makes things vivid. And oh my god mmmmmmm Threadgills pecan pie with a scoop of Blue Bell homemade vanilla.

    Sigh...

     
  7. Dreamlover - I think that feeling is something that most people bump up against, which makes it even trickier to balance.

    Bionicbuddha - That is a very valide point and question. I think it is highly individual, however, the norms are constantly shifting as well and it's this tranisitionary state that keeps it interesting.

    Melissa - You're telling me, although I opted for chocolate icebox pie this weekend. I can't argue with pecan or your Technicolor comparion because that's dead-on too.

     
  8. Sherry Says:
  9. Lust is that scent that attracts you, that reminds you of being alive and living in that moment.
    It's a wonderful thing.

     
  10. Kayla Says:
  11. I'm lusting after a man I met a week ago...not a good thing, really, since I have a steady boyfriend!
    It's his eyes that get to me.
    I've never seen such rich brown eyes, and they just sparkle!
    Okay...he's got a hot bod too
    ;-)

     
  12. Miss Ash Says:
  13. I'm lusting for someone to lust over. *sigh*

     
  14. Sherry - Well said. I do think there's a scent to it, but it is constantly shifting.

    Kayla - The truth comes out in the end. Ha. The eyes are nice, but . . . And I think it's those very problems that lust causes that makes it so interesting.

    Miss Ash - It will come again - lust always does. Do not fear.

     
  15. locomocos Says:
  16. ah....I understand lusting over chicken fried steak.

    mmm...gooood....

    oh yeah, and that other stuff too....

    mmmm.....steak....

    ;D

     
  17. locomocos Says:
  18. p.s.
    VERY good post!

     
  19. Nothing wrong with a little lust now and then - even if it is for chicken fried steak. It certainly adds spice to life. :-)

     
  20. Unknown Says:
  21. I've lusted over chicken that looks just like that.
    Lust away!

     
  22. julia Says:
  23. you southern people and your food.

     
  24. Cassie D - It's all good in my book & thank you very much. A little spice never hurt anything or anyone.

    Sarcastic - I think a little lust is good for the soul or the stomach depending on the case.

    Carmel - I didn't know they had it in Australia, but that's just another reason to visit in the future.

    Julia - If you were in Austin & eating the food you would understand. Promise.

     
  25. Dan Says:
  26. Was this post, like, about something?

    Rule #1 of blogging: never use a photo of Monica Bellucci on a post that you actually want people to read.

    Ah, Monica ... how do I love thee ... let me count the ways. ;)

     
  27. There would be quite a few ways in my book as Monica can be quite distracting. I swear I wrote some text around her somewhere . . .

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com