Followers

Blog Archive

Back To School In 90210 . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Tuesday, November 07, 2006

{Editor's Note: I voted last week during early voting, but if you haven't, go brave the lines and cast something - this post will be here when you return.}

In a long overdue release, the first season of "Beverly Hills 90210" arrives on DVD today.


It's amazing to me that this series took so long to put together because there is money to be made in the hills of West Beverly. "Beverly Hills 90210" lasted 10 seasons before taking a dirt nap, and although there were some dicey years sprinkled through its run, I plan to own the complete series.

This was a seminal show for me as I remember starting to watch during my middle school years that eventually extended to college and beyond.

I wanted to be Dylan McKay, and for my money, I would still choose Luke Perry's high school life over anyone else who has ever played a teenager on television.


The man had it all.

He had a swank house in Beverly Hills, a trust fund, a sweet vintage black convertible Porsche and no parents around to tell him that maybe he shouldn't drink on a Tuesday or bring back loose women to his house for sleep-overs. He also enjoyed reading good books and had a standing reservation at an outstanding hotel in town should he ever tire of his own abode.

The sideburns we need not even mention.


During the run of "Beverly Hills 90210," I spread my guilty vice to many people including several ex-girlfriends, a few roommates and various co-workers. Some people might initially try some bullshit posturing and claim they didn't watch the show, but they usually turned out to be bald-faced liars who eventually caved to most famous zip code in TV history.

I haven't watched the first season of '90210' in many years, and I have a feeling that some of it won't hold up too well under scrutiny (much like Ian Ziering's blonde mullet from the show).

But that's not really the point as things you watched and liked during particular time periods don't have to be technically superior products to hold value. The outstanding aspect is their ability to transport you back to a time and place while entertaining you at the same time.

All in all, I think that's a pretty good deal for $35.

-BDS

14 comments

  1. JLee Says:
  2. Man, that show sucked you in, didn't it?? I loved it. My ex and I used to watch it but he refused to admit it to his buddies. But as any show like it, everyone ends up sleeping with each other, new characters are introduced for them to sleep with, then it just burns out.

     
  3. nobich Says:
  4. What a fun dippy show!!! I liked the first few seasons- I admit it- when Shannon Doherty was still on.

     
  5. Dreamlover Says:
  6. I loved that show and I loved Brandon, hubba, hubba. Count me in for a season or 10, hahaha

     
  7. Jlee - A common syndrome indeed for your ex. And the longer a show runs, the more inbreeding that occurs.

    Nobich - You said it, and it definitely lost something when Shanneon left and after they all left college.

    Dreamlover - I'll be right alongside you, though not quite the same feelings for Brandon. It's hard to believe that Hilary Swank was even on there for a season.

     
  8. drëâmè® Says:
  9. Ohhh... maybe I should check this out haha... Heard of it... but never seen a single episode.

     
  10. Clearly, as you've outlined, the +tives outweigh the negatives. The negatives primarily (1) looking like a geezer in grade 10 and (2) being the only human being alive with less muscle mass than David Caruso

     
  11. Dr - There is the generation gap for you, but I would recommend you checking it out. That being said, you do have to take into account when it was made and popular. Enjoy.

    Idig - Does it not seem like some kind of massive joke that David Caruso has made a career out of playing a tough guy? Who does he intimidate? Questions. Questions. But no good answers because I think the guy is flat-out putz.

     
  12. Lucy Says:
  13. Hmmm...I've actually never seen it but I think I'm gonna have to give it a try now.

     
  14. Anonymous Says:
  15. I watched it too!

     
  16. Unknown Says:
  17. I watched it when it was on, that was soooo long ago. I had the hots for dylan like the stupid teenager I was.
    Oh and I wanted Brandon too, either one would have been fine :o

     
  18. Sherry Says:
  19. I remember lying in bed, talking on the phone to my friend Carla when the very first episode came on. I know that I enjoyed back then, I'm not so sure I could handle it now. Oh well, at least there's money to be made and maybe the girl who played Andrea can enjoy an extra 15 minutes of fame.

     
  20. Luce - It's worth a rental at Blockbuster. I say go for it, but keep an open mind.

    Confession - You better believe you did. You're not alone by any stretch of the imagination.

    Carmel - THis was a huge debate in Teen Mags for years, although I watched the show I did not read Teen Beat or whatever the title is.

    Sherry - That's a very specific memory, and Gabrielle Carteris (Andrea) had a short-lived talk show a few years ago. I'm not sure why.

     
  21. BostonPobble Says:
  22. I have truly never seen an episode. But I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld and didn't see Friends until it was in syndication. Yes. I'm that much of a nerd.

     
  23. I would have never guessed, but with all the writing I think you get a pass.

    But go rent it sometime. I might start with Seinfeld.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com