Followers

Blog Archive

Worth the Rent

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I was very skeptical when I was cajoled into seeing Brick because my lady friend has a bit of thing for Joseph Gordon Levitt...something about which I am also skeptical in general.



The whole idea of a bunch of highschool brats talking like hard-boiled anti-heroes and femme fatals just did not quite jive for me. However, I was pleasantly suprised once I sat down and watched it.



To be sure, there are moments in the film when the director really tries too hard to make the movie edgy and make JGL tougher than he can possibly be on screen. However, the film proceeds at a good quick pace, there is plenty of snappy, film noir-esque dialogue and an intriguing story line.

Also, what JGL lacks in physicality, he makes up for by being a truely sympathletic character who the audience can identify with and cheer for.

I'll spare everyone further analysis because to do so would ruin the movie for anyone who decides to see it. But, suffice to say, it was nice to be suprised by this film and all in all, I have a new found respect for Levitt and a new found desire to watch classic Film Noir.

--JWS

(Oh, and as a side note related to my counterpart's essay on Lust, a few good quotes:

On Sunday, we spent all morning playing football on the UT IM fields and afterwards, I had the most powerful craving for eggs, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns...and biscuits and gravy:

“He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart”
C.S. Lewis


For some reason I have remembered this quote from one of my baseball coaches and it still runs through my head to this day...usually when my lady friend refers to me lovingly as an "insensitive prick."

“The whole thing about the women is, they lust to be misunderstood”
Will Rogers


This quote stuck with me since I work in marketing and advertising.

“Society drives people crazy with lust and calls it advertising.”
John Lahr


And of course, you can not play any game of quotes without mentioning the most quotable man of the 20th century. (Most Quotable of All Time goes to Ben Franklin)

“Their insatiable lust for power is only equaled by their incurable impotence in exercising it.”
Winston Churchill

5 comments

  1. starbender Says:
  2. I haven't seen brick yet, sounds interesting...

    Luv the quote by Winston Churchill, how true!

    ' ]

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. BTW-I have finally updated my links, and now U are there!
    ' ]

     
  5. Miss Ash Says:
  6. Ah i forgot about this movie. Someone suggested i watch it but they did not have the movie at the store when i went. One day....

    Do you know i have never even noticed there were 2 people writing on this blog. I'm the least observant person i know.

     
  7. Starbender - Thank you for the link as now you will never lose your $2 again. Ha. And Winston had so many good quotes it's hard to keep track.

    Miss Ash - Don't worry. This only started about 3 weeks ago while you were away in Africa, so I think you have a good excuse. Now, however, you have 2 brothers writing which should lead to more posts, although the quality is still in question.

     
  8. nobich Says:
  9. Lust- any kind is wonderful that's how you know you're alive.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com