Followers

Blog Archive

Up On The Mountain Vol. 5 . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Wednesday, October 18, 2006

{Editor's Note: This is a semi-regular series of high-water mark performances that spans movies, television, books and life its ownself.}

For whatever reason, I haven't chronicled any truly outstanding performances by females in this series, and I can think of no better way to start than with Kate Winslet in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."


This was easily the best Jim Carrey movie I have seen (although I did enjoy "The Mask" and "Liar Liar" ). The movie itself was also the perfect marriage of Charlie Kaufman's unorthodox screenwriting and director Michael Gondry's visual nuances as it was challenging and interesting and demanded that you pay attention from start to finish.

All of those talents were excellent, however, it was Winslet's performance as Clementine that drove the movie forward on sheer energy alone.

This was a tricky and challenging role that could have been easily annoying or trite in the hands of a lesser actress. But Winslet is a pro, and she has been doing superb work for a long time, and she owned this role while not letting some of her character's flashier elements, like her constantly changing hair color, overshadow the person that Carrey is fighting to keep.


Winslet makes you understand why this battle is raging and all-consuming because despite a character who is sometimes cranky and difficult and capricious, it's easy to understand why she is worth the effort.

The initial interaction between Carrey and Winslet on the train is driven by Clementine, who makes herself impossible to ignore and someone that you want to know better, if only to discover what's behind her shocking bit of tonsorial flair. Riding this edge of playing such a big personality, Winslet never becomes a caricature or shell of a real person.


That is her big trick in my mind as she feels bone-deep real while still being vibrant as hell - and that's no easy trick.

Keeping this movie grounded while embracing to its own twisted reality, Winslet turns in one of her best performances during an outstanding career, and makes Clementine as fresh and rewarding as her name would indicate.

-BDS

9 comments

  1. Kayla Says:
  2. Unfortunately, I have not seen this movie.
    Guess what I'll be renting this weekend?? :-)
    I do like Kate and Jim, but thought they were an unlikely couple onscreen.
    Glad to hear I'm wrong.

    Did you see the "Life of David Gale"?
    Kate and Kevin Spacey were the main characters.
    What a whacked out movie!
    But it definitely left a mark in my mind.

     
  3. JLee Says:
  4. I love this movie! It really touched me so deeply...maybe struck a nerve. I do feel Jim Carrey's performance was great as well..not so "over the top" as usual.

     
  5. Lucy Says:
  6. I typically can't stand Jim Carrey, but this movie was fantastic. Great review.

     
  7. Kayla - You should fit this in for the weekend, but as a disclaimer: Don't rent it if you can't pay attention all the way through because this is not a movie you can do other chores, walk in and out of, etc. The reward, however, is worth it. I didn't see David Gale, but I know what you're talking about and they shot some of it in Austin. I didn't remember that Kate was in that one.

    Jlee - I feel the exact same way up and down the line.

    Luce - Thanks, and when Carrey is being Carrey, I could leave it, but this one is not to be missed.

     
  8. Unknown Says:
  9. It sounds like an interesting movie, when I have some time for movies again i'll look out for it because I like both actors work. I also liked Liar Liar, good taste there.

     
  10. locomocos Says:
  11. i love this review!
    it's so well written! maybe on the side of modeling, you could write movie reviews!

    I love Jim Carrey in this movie. I agree that he's crazy over the top at the beginning of his career - but if you've noticed his last few films, he's really toned it down. This was his first performance since The Truman Show that I actually took notice of him. I expect good things to come from him in the future, knowing now that he can do dramatic roles just as well (if not better) than comedic.
    Have you been to the Lacuna site? I know I've contemplated making an appointment there from time to time....

     
  12. Carmel - You need more time, and when you do go rent this one. And thanks as I like to think I have a bit of taste when it comes to these matters.

    Cassie D - I always love your links, and this one was no exception. And thanks for the kind words as I was actually Ent Editor for my college newspaper for a spell and wrote movie reviews for at least 3 yrs of my tenure. It's good to know that I'm not too rusty.

     
  13. julia Says:
  14. there were so many appealing and tragic things about this film; part of why it's one of the few dvd's i own. winslet is definitely one of those things, and it's also carrey's best performance.

    i love it when a film exposes how painful and pointless life is at the personal level sometimes while still managing to leave the viewer feeling like it's still worth it (being alive). this is how this film made me feel.

     
  15. I this same sort of feeling or a variation thereof was a major reason why those who saw this movie remember and responded to so vividly.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com