Followers

Blog Archive

Up On The Mountain Vol. 4 . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Thursday, October 12, 2006

{Editor's Note: This is a semi-regular series of high-water mark performances that spans movies, television, books and life its ownself.}

"I'm your huckleberry."

With those words in "Tombstone," Val Kilmer cemented his performance as the best Doc Holliday in cinematic history, but also gave the finest performance of his career.


Hell, I didn't and still don't know exactly what that statement means and why Kilmer would reference a huckleberry when he was aiming for a gun fight. I try not get bogged down in details when enjoying a tour-de-force performance.

Kilmer was the epitome of cool in this flick, which was far superior to the Kevin Costner epic "Wyatt Earp" a few years later.

Kilmer took the character of Doc Holliday, the gambling, drinking, whoring and quick-drawing friend of Kurt Russell's Wyatt Earp and stole every scene he was in during the movie. He looked the part of someone suffering from Tuberculosis, with the right amount of emaciation and a pale pallor that made him seem somewhat fragile even as he was mowing people down.


Doc Holliday was the best friend that anyone could ask for as he was always there when the shit hit the fan, and he could handle himself in any situation, including those times when the only action that was needed would be a good game of cards while finishing off a bottle of whiskey.

Kilmer was excellent during the Battle at the O.K. Corral, but he really hit his high notes with his ongoing feud with Johnny Ringo (Michael Bien). When he crawls out of his deathbed to meet Ringo for a gun fight beneath a threatening sky, the huckleberry line is revisted before Kilmer takes care of business and then taunts Johnny for being too slow.


Whenever Kilmer wasn't onscreen, things suffered considerably as we were forced to watch Bill Paxton give a truly wimpish performance (one of the few in his career) as Wyatt's brother and the misguided attempts of Dana Delaney to do anything even remotely believable.

The relationship between Kilmer and Russell even gave the film some dramatic weight as I was truly moved during their last scene together near the end of the film.

And it was Kilmer's performance that carried "Tombstone" above its B-level origins to one that I proudly own the Collector's Edition on DVD, and periodically re-watch to admire an actor who walked away with a movie from a large ensemble cast.

-BDS

12 comments

  1. Dreamlover Says:
  2. All I can see is Val looks seriously hot in that first pic.

     
  3. SamuraiFrog Says:
  4. I honestly felt like Val Kilmer was robbed of an Oscar nomination because of Disney's decision not to hold critics' screenings.

     
  5. JLee Says:
  6. He was fantastic in this movie, and I also loved that line (although it made little sense) I also loved his performance in "Willow". Great flick. God he was hot, and it pains me to see him sitting on the beach looking like a whale recently :(

     
  7. Dreamlover - He does look cool in the movie, but his acting takes the cake.

    Samuraifrog - I didn't know that about the critic's screening (or not being able to) and what a moronic decision because he was flat-out brilliant. I'm not sure who else was nominated that year but I'd be hard-pressed to find 5 better performances.

    Jlee - It's funny how many people have a soft spot for "Willow" and that picture you're talking about has made an appearance on this site and I saw one excellent headline somewhere that said 'The Iceman Ageth'.

     
  8. Kayla Says:
  9. This is an excellent movie!
    Very moving performances, especially for a "cowboy" flick.

    I like Val and always thought he was hot until I saw a picture of him with painted toenails!
    He went on to say he liked to explore his feminine side...
    Ewwww

     
  10. Miss Ash Says:
  11. I never saw this movie but i agree with the ladies that he is or errrr was a looker.

     
  12. Val was awesome in both Tombstone and Top Gun. Its neat how both, Doc and IceMan were super cool in entirely different ways.

    Doc, just as you described him although I would also add slightly effeminate. IceMan is the exact opposite - disciplined, macho and hard.

    How many dudes can attempt a line like "I'm your Huckleberry" before a fight and not sound like a total pansy.

     
  13. Unknown Says:
  14. I may have to check out this movie. When I finally get some time that is.

     
  15. Kayla - I remember that whole painted toenails debacle, and I had another female friend also state that she was through with Kilmer after that. Who knew this was such a sensative subject?

    Miss Ash - Even if you don't like Westerns, you should rent it sometime & take in the performance.

    Idig - I agree with you on all points, and as you mentioned, it's damn tough to pull that line off and still sound cool as hell. I would also throw in "Real Genius" as a great role that showed his comedic chops.

    Carmel - You should make time. Ha. Easier said than done, but it's deifnitely worth watching.

     
  16. Wiwille Says:
  17. I have a love/hate relationship with this film. While I enjoyed Kilmer's performance I just couldn't see Russel as Earp nor did I buy the supposed chemistry with his leading lady. Plus some of the scenes in that film are nothing more than a big block of government cheese.

    Still I'll watch it again for Kilmer's performance alone.

     
  18. Sherry Says:
  19. This is one of my all time favorite movies, and I also have the Collector's Edition DVD.

    Every scene with Val is great as you mentioned, and I do love those huckleberry lines.

     
  20. Wiwille - I agree with you about the movie in general as at the end of the day it's B movie Western. But I do think Russell gave a solid performance as Earp, but some of there others like you noted in Dana Delaney were miscast (Jason Priestly also springs to mind).

    Sherry - I bought the Collector's Edition even after buying the first one that came out. This says something for me because I hate when this happens, but for this one, I had to have the Collector's edition. Worth every penney.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com