Followers

Blog Archive

Stay Out Of Volkswagens . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Thursday, September 28, 2006

I am sick and tired of the new round of Volkswagen commercials that keep invading my television viewing.

In the past, I've always liked VW cars fairly well as I've ridden in some Jettas and Passats and a bright yellow Bug on one occasion. But my opinion is starting to sour due to these ads which keep showing horrific and jarring crashes involving Volkswagen cars just when you least expect it.


The first time I saw one of these ads, it made me jump, and even with each new commercial and subsequent viewing of old ones, I still find myself tensing up just waiting for the collision to occur.

Just what the marketing genius behind this series was thinking is beyond me. I'm sure the idea was obviously to stress the safety of VW automobiles, but it has actually had the opposite effect on me.

Instead of considering these cars safe, I now believe them to be moving targets that nearly anyone else on the road plans to t-bone when you're driving around with your friends.

I would go so far as to say that I will volunteer to drive or simply pass on a ride from anyone who offers me a lift in one of these death machines in the near future.



Life is too short to tempt fate, and Volkswagen has only themselves to blame for putting this association in my brain.

VW = Terrible Crash is not the message that advertising dollars should be spent on, and although you could argue that it has raised brand awareness, it's still for all the wrong reasons.

-BDS

4 comments

  1. JLee Says:
  2. That's a good point. Even though they walk away, you're thinking how traumatic it must've been and how much their insurance is going to go up..AAAAHH!

     
  3. Their insurance and my blood pressure just shoot though the roof.

     
  4. holy shit
    i hate these commercials
    i especially hate how they end with the person saying "holy ..."

    the new one even has two women talking about commercials with car wrecks in them. and then you see this car sliding down the hill

    - hey, VW! we expect it now!

     
  5. They should pull these ads immediately as I loathe them.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com