Followers

Blog Archive

I Need A New Show . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I need a new TV show to watch this season.

Every year I tend to pick one series that I'll likely watch for the year, and I've been on a good winning streak since around 2000 as this time period has yielded a track record that runs from "Alias" to "The Shield" to "Arrested Development" to "Lost" to "My Name Is Earl."



The pressure comes from the selectivity because I don't have time for more than one new show per given year.

It's a tricky and difficult to get just the right mix of TV to watch as too much will leave you a zombie and constantly filling your Tivo box whereas too little will cause you to miss a bit of weekly joy.

You also have to take into account your hour vs. half-hour mix because this is also important. Sometimes you just can't spare the emotion or time for an hour program (roughly 45 minutes without commercials) and therefore a few 30 minute jobs (22 in reality) need to be there to cushion the load.

Right now, the shows I already have programmed into my Tivo are:

1) "My Name is Earl"


2) "The Office" {This is simply the best comedy hour on television with these back-to-back}
3) "Lost" - Last season meandered a bit, but I'm still intrigued and want to know more about The Others and the backwards society on the far side of the Island. And what's up with that giant foot statue anyway?
4) "Nip/Tuck" - This is often bad and ridiculous, but I got hooked a few years ago because all my clients were watching it and now I continue for no good reason at all.


5) "The Simpsons" - Still good after all these years.
6) "Deadwood" & "The Shield" - These come on later in the year, which is good because they would push things too far if they were on a normal run schedule.

New series are already starting and will continue over the next few weeks, so I must work fast.

I have a few under consideration - "Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip," "Jericho," and "Smith" but am more than willing to take suggestions.

The only requirement is that the quality must be high as there is a history to consider, and I never want to add something horribly wrong like "According to Jim" or "The War at Home" to my list because I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than watch that kind of crap.

-BDS

19 comments

  1. JLee Says:
  2. you have GOT to watch "House" Tuesday nights on Fox. One of my faves...I am hooked on "Nip/Tuck" as well, although the first season was best, they're getting a little crazy with it. We'll see where it goes.

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. Trailer Park Boys
    http://www.trailerparkboys.com

     
  5. Miss Ash Says:
  6. Grey's Anatomy is my fav :)

    3rd Season starts next week. I never watched Lost but now i want to, is it worth renting to catch up?

     
  7. Melissa Says:
  8. Like jlee I dig House, mostly because he's such an asshole. I'm addicted to Grey's Anatomy too, but that might be a chic thing. Cannot WAIT for LOST. I want to know what happens to Kate, Jack and Sawyer while they are with the Others.

    Of course I'm still hooked on my DVDs of Sex and the City and Northern Exposure too.

     
  9. I love Nip/Tuck. It is supposed to return to more of the stuff that made the first season great. We'll see.

    I think Jericho and the Sunset Studio 60 (I think that is it) look about the best. I watched Men In Trees last night and it might have a few possibilities, but I'm just not sure.

     
  10. Dreamlover Says:
  11. GREy's ANATOMY

    GREY's ANATOMY

    I LOVE THIS SHHOW!!

    can u tell? lol

     
  12. Lucy Says:
  13. I KNOW!!! What is up with the giant foot thingie? And last season's finale was bizarre. My interest waned a little but I still can't wait for this season to start.
    I just started watching "The Office"...I love it.
    But here's a choice you need to seriously consider even though you probaly don't watch cooking shows:
    "Good Eats" with Alton Brown on the Food Network. He is brilliant and hilarious and a bright light amid countless dull shows.
    Your buds may persecute you for watching a cooking show but it's worth a try.

     
  14. Anything but CSI, dude. It kills me how a 90 pound, red-haired pencil necker is supposed to be intimidating.

     
  15. Jlee - I've heard good things about House for years now, and my brother also vouches for it, so it would be a leading contender.

    Girlbehind - There's a lot of trailer park action on My Name Is Earl, however, I'll have to take a look.

    Miss Ash - I just don't know if I can do Gray's as medical shows have never been my thing.

    Melissa - TV DVDs are excellent, but also too damn expensive. I'll chalk up another vote for House & Gray's.

    Sarcastic - That would be a good idea on Nip/Tuck & about Men in Trees I just don't know about Anne Heche.

    Dreamlover - I think you should have emphasized your point a little more for clarity.

    Miss Britt - Damn Gray's seems to be taking over, and although I tend to like Charlie Sheen and John Cryer I just don't know about that show.

    Idig - I've never seen a single CSI episode of any of the 14 different versions that they run each week (and the David Caruso thing has always been a mystery).

     
  16. Luce - I blanked and almost forgot or maybe tried to block out the food show as right now my diet wouldn't allow for that viewing. Maybe later & I'm glad someone else was still thinking about the giant foot.

     
  17. 2 1/2 Men is hilarious and addictive. LOVE the writing and Charlie Sheen is just wonderful (not that I'm a fan of his but he just plays it so damn well)...in fact ALL of them are great on that show...

     
  18. p.s. like the ORIGINAL CSI, the D. Caruso thing is wearing very thin.

     
  19. BostonPobble Says:
  20. I'm looking forward to Shark simply because I adore and trust James Woods as an actor. That and a buck fifty, of course.

     
  21. Nancy Drew - I considered getting into the original CSI a few years ago, but never did and 2 1/2 men plays right into Sheen's wheelhouse.

    Bostonpobble - I think James Woods is a fine actor and usually one of the more interesting characters on-screen in whatever he's in, however, this show seems almost like a parody of James Woods should act. I might be wrong, but I don't have high hopes.

     
  22. Lucy Says:
  23. Good point. I guess considering the diet my comment was insensitive..:-(

     
  24. I was kidding, but I probably will wait until things return to normal before trying to find it.

     
  25. I love According toJim. I also Love Reba and all the WB shows that got cancelled when they merged networks and left me with ZILCH! Of course I love D.H. and I did watch Grey's but now I'm tired of it.

     
  26. I will have to take your word about Jim because Belushi running around half-dressed and being himself has just never appealed to me.

    I, however, could always be wrong.

     
  27. That's one of my problems with Gray's is that Pompeo bothers me, and she could use to spend some time at the buffet line.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com