Followers

Blog Archive

Harming My Eternal Soul . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Monday, September 04, 2006

So I was standing in Best Buy today to pick up the new Bob Dylan CD when I decided to kill some time in the comedy DVD section.

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, and that's exactly what I found when I suddenly stumbled upon "Soul Man" for $4.99.


This movie featured one of those plots that could only be deemed reasonable and acceptable (and in no way offensive) in the 80s.

In no other decade could you base an entire movie around this: A priveliged white-bred fuck-knuckle kid from L.A. (C. Thomas Howell) gets into Harvard Law School, and then when his Dad won't pay the bill, decides that the only reasonable alternative is to exceed the recomended dosage of experimental tanning pills while adding a Jheri-curl and then apply for and take an African-American scholarship to attend the college.



What follows is meditation on race and discrimination that was a precursor to "Crash" in the elegant way that it deals with this thorny issue.

Actually, it's not even close as we get to watch Howell embarass himself on a basketball court, get pulled over by cops on dubious charges, bed a horny white girl who wants to test some sexual stereotypes, and romance an actual African-American woman (Rae Dawn Chong) who's a single mother to boot.

My take-away was simply that C. Thomas Howell could be white, black, green, brown or yellow and he would still be a dipshit.

But the funny thing was that a few decent actors like James Earl Jones, Leslie Nielsen and Julia Louise-Dreyfous read this script and said "Yes, I need to do this."

It's one thing for 80s goofballs like Arye Gross and Dawn Chong (who you knew would never act after the decade ended), however, Jones should be ashamed of himself.

Unfortunately, I should also be ashamed of myself because I bought, watched and critiqued this forgotten classic and now my soul is hurting.

I guess the devil really does find work for idle hands, although I had always thought of this concept in terms of masturbation in the past.

-BDS

9 comments

  1. Unknown Says:
  2. I bought some great movies for 2.50 recently, I hope 'some' are good.

     
  3. Kayla Says:
  4. Soul pain is not good,...
    Can't believe James Earl Jones bought into this piece of crap movie!

     
  5. I love how Joel Siegel chimes in with "Very, Very Good." I'm surprised he didnt throw in a "Really Nice."

    Just bought 'Class Act' [work that body] with Kid n Play for a song at my local car wash. I pretty much only purchase entertainment media at gas stations and post offices.

    "Pure Disco Explosion, on tape, for $0.99, Fuck Yeah!"

     
  6. I'm concerned about your socialization skills.

     
  7. Miss Ash Says:
  8. My friend just bought "Nightshift" for $4.99...i love that movie and recall watching it as a child, though now it doesn't seem so appropriate to have watched it so young LOL.

     
  9. JLee Says:
  10. Can I ask if you were under the influence of any narcotics when you watched this movie? Or possibly were tortured into it? Not that I've seen it, but I am surprised it wasn't in the 99 cent isle.

     
  11. Be glad you only paid $4.99 for all that pain.

     
  12. drëâmè® Says:
  13. Hah! It took a while for the plot to sink it for me... I saw the dude with the funny afro and I was like: SHIT. I get it.

    (yes I'm slow).

    But nevertheless, the movie WAS cheap. I feel pretty crappy about buying this book for $3.99. It's called "The Trouble with Beauty."

    I swear... I thought I'd heard of it somewhere. I was determined that this was acclaimed book and that I was getting the deal of my life. I get home, trying to find it on Amazon and after a long searchh finally find it out of print and stock.

    & this was longer than I intended it to be, but really... we all become victims of deals that look amazing.

    Mahalo,
    Sahar.

     
  14. Carmel - Keep your fingers crossed because most movies are that cheap for a reason.

    Kayla - The scary thing is the Jones also acted very bad in this movie (he probably realized just what a piece of crap it was and just phoned it in)

    Jenni222 - The Breakfast Club holds up in my mind, and you should check it out again. Soul Man never should have been made.

    Tbone - I meant to comment on Joel's quote, and I had forgotten about Class Act (but what a misnomer, eh?).

    Stiltwalker - What triggered this as I don't see how my quest for a bargain DVD would necessarily lead to stunted socialization. But maybe . . .

    Miss Ash - Yeah, Night Shift was all about The Fonz and hookers and probably wasn't all that appropriate. It was funny in a few parts, however, such as Michael Keaton explaining the meaning behind the word prostitute.

    Jlee - I think a drink or a smoke would only add to the pleasure of Soul Man, but alas, I'm off of both vices due to my bullshit diet.

    Sarcastic - They knew my price point at Best Buy, and just snuck in under the gun.

    Dr - It's a plague, but I think it's just one of those cliches or sayings that hold true - you usually get what you pay for and Soul Man fell into that category for sure.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com