Followers

Blog Archive

New Year's Day . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Thursday, January 04, 2007

"If I could live my life all over
It wouldn't matter anyway
Because I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay," - Robert Earl Keen, 'Corpus Christi Bay'


I recall listening to this song early one New Years Day during my college years at the University of Texas at Austin.


The sentiment seemed almost perfect to me as I drove home and tried to sort through the night before in a flailing attempt to make sense of its twisted existence.

At the time, I was on the downside of a long-term relationship and after dropping off my girlfriend shortly after midnight, I proceeded to attend an after party at an old friend's house where many more old friends from high school were gathered. Things turned hazy at this point, however, I remember more drinking and several post-midnight celebratory kisses followed by a grand passionate romp finale inside my friend's sister's bedroom with an old girlfriend who I hadn't seen for years.

It was more of a drunken and vaguely clumsy seduction, but it happened even if I couldn't remember all the details as I drove home in need of sleep and some kind of selective amnesia.

And that was one of my better New Year's celebrations.


I've simply come to the conclusion that New Years is easily one of the most overrated holidays masquerading as a good time. By my unofficial calculations, nearly 4 out of 5 are stressful, boring and end up costing far too much money for the amount of entertainment they provide.

The lousy service and price fix menus make dining virtually impossible. Driving is dicey as it's amateur drunk night on the roads. And unless you know someone throwing a party with good people invited, you're spending a lot of time with human jackals who mistake talking loudly with being witty.

I think New Years celebrations peaked in high school when you could usually find a house where the parents were gone and get blitzed with your friends.


These salad days ended when you turned 21 and could drink legally. Since then, I only remember one New Years (2000 in Austin) that was truly a good time and which didn't end in boredom or bedlam.

I suppose any celebration where you live to see the next year could be considered a success, and as Robert Earl noted I'm not sure if you had a second chance to change things that they would get any better.

I don't even know if I have the energy to try anymore as I am about ready to throw in the towel on New Years and start celebrating Groundhog Day with a vengeance unseen by man or beast.

-BDS

14 comments

  1. nobich Says:
  2. I don't leave the house on New Years Eve- too many drunks on the road. People having a forced "good time" kind of frantic & sad.

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. I agree that New Year's is pricey and you feel compelled to go out and have a crazy time. I'm pretty crazy whenever i want to be as it is, so New Year's is no big deal.

    This year i got together with some old friends, had some drinks and played the 90's version of Trivial Pursuit..it was great to see them and we had fun in our comfies.

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. I spent New Year's waiting up until 2:00 a.m.; finally calling my 18-year-old and asking her where the hell she was. Yep, she was at one of those underage drinking parties, where the alcohol was supplied by someone's mother, who probably thinks she's the coolest mom on earth. I told my kid to spend the night there and not drive home. And if I ever meet that cool mom, I will kick her big fat ass.

     
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. I finally gave up on the whole hoopla surrounding NYE. I can only remember fondly one (also 2000) where I was at a good friends house, smoking cigars outside by some chimneas (sp?) and just laughing a lot. I had a wicked cigar hangover, but didn't really drink that much. That's kind of a dumb story, but it was fun if you were there...

     
  9. Nobich - A forced good time is a nice way to put it. And they usually take those frantic/sad feelings to the roads too.

    Miss Ash - That sounds like a good idea as I'll have to invite a lot of people over next year with the requirement being that that are in their sleeping gear. Ha.

    Wendy - If you do kick her big fat ass, please have someone record it and post it on your blog (I forgot about those "cool" parents that you mentioned in my post. Selah.)

    Jlee - I think that's always the case as most stories don't translate that well - even if cigars are involved (not that yours didn't . . . ).

     
  10. Anonymous Says:
  11. Somehow once you get past 21 many things are over rated.

     
  12. Anonymous Says:
  13. If you celebrate Groundhog Day, do you get to do it over and over and over like the movie?

     
  14. locomocos Says:
  15. my jerry springer new years ended with the question:
    If you are a bigger person, when riding the greyhound, why don't you purchase 2 SEATS when you obviously NEED it instead of suffocating the person next to you for 5 hours?!

    that's all i have to say, and VIVA LA GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!

     
  16. Sarcastic - So true. It's all downhill from there.

    Jlee - It just feels that way because I have so much fun on Groundhog Day that it feels like it lasts forever.

    LocoMocos - Another fun thing about traveling, eh? And I'm glad there's another Groundhog supporter out there.

     
  17. Kayla Says:
  18. I totally agree with the feeling of "forced good times" on every single New Year's Eve.
    How can it possibly be fantastic year after year?
    I did have a very memorable night this year, however...
    That's all I'm saying
    ;-)

     
  19. Last new year it started out on the right foot. I went to church with my grandmother, daughter, sister and neice. Then afterwards we went to my cousins house. He had a big house party. It was so cool because all of my family was there young and old. Then before I knew it I was to drunk to make it home and I ended up staying at one of my cousin's friends house. We always kinda flirted with each other so we finally wind up in bed together. That little fling lasted for 2 months and I was sick of him after that.
    So in order to avoid anything like that happening this year I came to work and brought in the new year with all my favorite co-workers

     
  20. Kayla - I'm glad you had a good time, but I hope a post detailing this thing is forthcoming.

    Slopmaster - Hell, by midnight most people are so drunk anyway that I've always found it relatively easy to accomplish. Sometimes more than once.

    Trina - If you got 2 months out of the deal, then you're ahead of the game. Ha. But it is easy to tire of people, so this year sounds pretty damn good too.

     
  21. Anonymous Says:
  22. I miss UT.

     
  23. You and me both.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com