Followers

Blog Archive

Thoughts On "Snakes On A Plane" . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Wednesday, August 23, 2006

{Editor's Note: After seeing this movie on Saturday to a half-empty theater I began to suspect that it wouldn't live up to the Internet hype - and it didn't as it bowed with a less than stellar $15 million opening gross}

As if the events in the UK last week weren't enough to make me scared to fly, now I have to worry about snakes.

Snakes On A Plane.


1) This marketing machine of a movie is a good time if you go into it starving to engulf the cheese that drips from the project. And much like that terrifyingly orange squeezy-cheese that you ate as a kid - it can be an enjoyable guilty pleasure.

2) That being said, it's still felt too long at only 96 minutes, and it could have been closer to an hour as the second major snake attack is just redundant.

3) You've got to like a movie that just gives you a grab-bag of paper-thin characters to kill off or save from the snakes. You've got an Asian kick-boxer, a porcelin princess, a horny couple with piercings and pot, an extreme-sports/Red Bull drinking sports nut, a famous musican, a redneck pilot, and Samuel L. Jackson. You can probably guess the fate of the characters by my brief descriptions.

4) The scene where two passengers decide to hit the bathroom, smoke a joint and screw like greased weasels is the very definition of gratuitous nudity. It just reeks of it - not that there's anything wrong with that in my book.

5) The killer line that Jackson delivers - "I'm sick of these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane" delivers the goods, however, his decision directly after his pronouncement made no sense to me as there should have been a much easier way to rid the cockpit of 4 snakes (I won't spoil the actual decision).

If you're going to see this movie, I would recommend doing it at a time where you are guaranteed to have a large and lively crowd.

Try not to laugh at the computer-generated snakes (I still found myself putting my feet on the chair in front of me after watching them nip at people's legs in the movie) and revel in all the glory that this over-the-top B movie has in store for you.

Just don't expect any surprises because the title really says it all.

-BDS

12 comments

  1. I'm gonna check this out this weekend. I keep hearing mixed reviews.

     
  2. Are you kidding? You paid to see this one?

    Brave lot, you!!!

     
  3. "I saw Snakes on a Plane yesterday and i absolutely changed my life. I havent seen acting that shockingly brilliant since Final Destination 3."

    "You don't watch Snakes on a Plane it watches you."

    "If you have cancer and only 3 months to live, go see Snakes on s Plane. Because a Snakes on a Plane hour-and-a-half feels like a fucking leap year."

     
  4. drëâmè® Says:
  5. "Try not to laugh at the computer-generated snakes..."

    GASP. You know a CANADIAN company created those snakes?

    But nevertheless... maybe Debs (lastlifeinmyuniverse) would like to read this post...

    Mahalo,
    Sahar.

     
  6. JLee Says:
  7. I'll go for the gratuitous nudity alone. Man, if it only had Hasselhoff, it would totally rock.

     
  8. Dreamlover Says:
  9. That movie sounds crap. lol, one I will not be paying to see!!

     
  10. Stiltwalker - Just adjust your expectations and get a decent audience and it can be a decent time.

    Nancy Drew - We are brave and fearless and are not afraid of any movie around here - although snakes are a somewhat different matter.

    Tbone - They should have used these lines on the ads for the film as praise from critics was few and far between.

    Dr - I wouldn't go around bragging if I were that company as some of them were downright silly-looking. But the big-ass python was pretty good.

    JLee - Anything that features the Hoff with or without clothes is sheer and utter greatness waiting to happen.

    Dreamlover - Save your money, but maybe you should slither into the film for free. That was an awful, awful pun. No excuses.

     
  11. Pointless nudity or not, I'll wait for the DVD.

    I just don't understand the big deal with the name.
    "Snakes on a Plane" People are saying that is a marketing touchdown and calling it genius!

    I think its stupid.

    If you asked a five year old what to call a movie about snakes on planes, what do you think they would say?!?

    I'm guessing that's the beauty of it?!?

     
  12. Miss Ash Says:
  13. I love Samuel as an actor, but really have no desire to see this movie. I was also unimpressed by one of my friends who sent me that damn phone call from Samuel about the movie...........i hit end on my cell as soon as it started. Can you believe you can send a phone call to someone with Samuel talking about the movie..ugh.

     
  14. Friday - That is the beauty and the whole lure because they were betting it would be so obvious and horrible that it would almost be brilliant. They didn't quite succeed on all fronts.

    Miss Ash - Jackson is a very good actor, but he will take nearly anything that is offered to him as he's been in great movies, good ones and some truly awful ones too. You just never know with him.

     
  15. Nella Says:
  16. For me, I am not going to see it. I really didnt find it interesting, but then again I might lol.

     
  17. It had an appeal for me as I don't care much for flying, and I really loathe snakes.

    That still doesn't mean it was good.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com