Followers

Blog Archive

Thoughts On "Clerks 2" . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Friday, August 11, 2006

I really liked the original "Clerks."


It was my senior year in high school when it came out, and I can still remember turning my friends onto it because I thought it was fresh and funny as hell.

This is no small thing in high school because if the movie sucked then I would have been quickly ranked out unmercifully by my friends.

But it didn't and the movie proved to be both quotable and also possessed the ability to be seen multiple times (another essential in high school).

So, it was with great trepidation that I saw "Clerks 2," but it passed the sniff test - barely.


1) The movie succeeds by wearing its heart on its sleeve to use a good cliche as this time it's about best friends as much as it is about relationships between guys and girls.

2) Rosario Dawson was a really enjoyable presence in the film. I have always liked her, but often actresses are absolutely horrible when they find themselves in these kind of roles. Dawson, however, pulls it off extremely well.

3) Jay & Silent Bob are used just enough as it's always a slippery slope with this duo. If they are in a Kevin Smith movie too much ("Dogma") or not enough ("Jersy Girl" - although one might argue that they were smart to stay away from this dog) things can get out of hand.

4) The donkey show scene was filthy and wrong and funny and caused at least one critic to walk out in horror. I find that pretty pathetic, but I have always had a thing for donkey shows ever since "Bachelor Party" with Tom Hanks (this is also noted in "Clerks 2."

5) Ben Affleck shows up for roughly one minute of screen time sporting a handlebar mustache, and it's the best film work he's done in years.

All in all, this sequel wasn't a horrible idea, but it in no way compared to the first one.

It's obvious that Smith is at a different place in his life, and although you can't fault him for trying to express those feelings, they just aren't as funny as the riffs you've got going in your early 20s when you've got the world by the balls and endless supply of good friends, laughs and potential to pull you through.

-BDS

13 comments

  1. SamuraiFrog Says:
  2. "It's obvious that Smith is at a different place in his life, and although you can't fault him for trying to express those feelings, they just aren't as funny as the riffs you've got going in your early 20s when you've got the world by the balls and endless supply of good friends, laughs and potential to pull you through."

    Of course, that's really the point of the movie, isn't it? I noticed the tone was much more wistful this time.

     
  3. Definitely wistful & a bit melancholy & trying to explore that rift that starts to happen around that age & I think it's a worthy subject that is difficult if not impossible to address really well.

     
  4. drëâmè® Says:
  5. Hm.. I really wanted to see this. I think I'll rent the original and then see this one.

    I like your movie reviews :) This is where I can tell you write & do a hell of a good job of it.

     
  6. The original clerks seemed effortless and authentic. It was awesome. Clerks II seemed forced and the dialogue sounded like the work of 30+ year old man trying a little too hard to sound authentic. It was a little sad.

    awesome blog by the way.

     
  7. Grace Says:
  8. Hehe, looks like a good movie. I haven't seen the first one though... would it be better to check out part 1 before watching the new one?

     
  9. Dr - That is a very good idea about renting the first one, but just remember that it was made for about $30,000 nearly 10 years ago and it looks it. Glad you like the reviews, and they will keep coming because I like doing them.

    Idig - I would pretty much agree with your assesment, and I think that the main reason I wasn't harder on Clerks 2 was because you could tell that Smith really cares and I hate to shit all over anything like that. That being said, it did feel forced in several places, which was completely different from the original.

    Grace - Definitely rent the first one before seeing part 2, and note what I said above about the look of the first film which is in black and white and extremely grainy. But it's damn funny.

     
  10. Jennifer Says:
  11. I have yet to see Clerks 2, but i'm sure i will at some point. I did enjoy the 1st one.

     
  12. Anonymous Says:
  13. I have yet to see Clerks 2, but i'm sure i will at some point. I did enjoy the 1st one.

     
  14. Miss Ash Says:
  15. Good Lord, it's me Miss Ash, sorry for all that, i'm at a friends posting and apparently it posted as her not me.

     
  16. oh man I want to ROFL just LOOKING at the two of them....

     
  17. Fleur de Bee Says:
  18. The Donkey scene sounds yummy. Please describe...wait that was a joke. I will just take you word that this show was a laugh (barely) and you enjoyed it for both yourself and me too.

    Oh the days of High School and when we all watched movies over and over and quoted and thought we were sooooo cool. Have times really changed since then? lol NAH!

     
  19. Unknown Says:
  20. I have never seen clerks.
    I want to go out and watch "Nacho Libre" for some reason. =)

     
  21. Miss Ash - If you liked the first one then I would check out part 2, but go in with reduced expectations and you'll probably leave fairly satisfied.

    Drama - I don't think things have changed that much, and I'm not sure I want them to either as a well-placed movie quote still works in the boardroom or the bathroom. It all depends on the context.

    Carmel - I meant to see "Nacho Libre," but missed it and now I'll probably just wait until DVD as "Napoleon Dynamite" was pretty good, but not nearly the sensation that some made it out to be.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com