Followers

Blog Archive

First Pluto And Then It's Uranus . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Nearly 2,500 astronomers from 75 countries gathered in Prague yesterday to come up with a universal definition of what qualifies as a planet and possibly decide whether Pluto should keep its planet status.


I am in favor of keeping Pluto around because millions of schoolchildren were taught that there were 9 planets, and this new de-classification would throw those beliefs into anarchy.

Also, I made an amazing and according to one young teacher "bad-ass" diorama of the solar system sometime in my elementary school days, and I would hate to realize that it was wrong 20 years after the fact.


But the decision won't be an easy one. Scientists attending the conference are split over whether Pluto should be excluded from the list of planets, Pavel Suchan of the meeting's local organization committee said.

"So far it looks like a stalemate," Suchan said. "One half wants Pluto to remain a planet, the other half says Pluto is not worth being called a planet."

I come down on the side of Pluto because it's a slippery slope once you start throwing planets out of the solar system.

First comes Pluto and then it's Uranus and that thought pains me too much to consider.

{Editor's Note: I still think that virtually all jokes involving Uranus are hilarious - a trait which also harkens back to my elementary days.}

-BDS

8 comments

  1. Lucy Says:
  2. I have to agree about the Uranus jokes. They never get old.

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. Another clever blog. Thanks for the fun!

     
  5. D Says:
  6. GEEZ!!! Leave it alone allready !!! Shouldnt these people be getting together disscussing a cure for ohh I dont know- Cancer ?? There are far better ways to put there time to use.. Unreal...

     
  7. pluto not a planet ?

    earth shattering !

     
  8. Instantiable Says:
  9. Careful, if Earth shatters, I don't think it'll be a planet either.

     
  10. drëâmè® Says:
  11. "One half wants Pluto to remain a planet, the other half says Pluto is not worth being called a planet."

    Poor pluto.. I think he's worth it. God, even scientists are bullies.

    last: haha I love that joke/pun. Cracked me up.

     
  12. Nabeel Says:
  13. pluto is our friend .. we love pluto .. pluto is my favorite planet .. even the solar system loves pluto :)

     
  14. Luce - Amen.

    Anonymous - Thank Pluto and some guys in Prague and most importantly Uranus. Ha.

    D - You would think there are far more important things to accomplish in the world than deal with problems like Pluto. But I think it was also a conference like this one where velcro was invented.

    Lastlife - We love puns around here almost as much as Uranus jokes. Almost.

    Insatiable - It will still be a planet in millions of tiny pieces.

    Dr - It's damn irritating how they talk about Pluto like it's not even close enough to hear the jeers.

    Nabeel - You should email the conference with just such a plea, and it might just survive. I've got my fingers crossed.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com