Followers

Blog Archive

Thoughts on "The Bourne Ultimatum" . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Monday, August 20, 2007

Worth A Matinee or Full-Price Ticket: Full price. This film was easily the best Threequel I've seen this summer, and slightly better than the second installment.

Will I Own It On DVD: Yes. I have the first two, and will definitely round out the set when it is released.


1) This film was a fitting way to conclude this surprisingly good franchise (and let's hope they don't decide to make a Fourth one to really cash in) as it boasts a frantic pace that rarely let's up, and provides answers to a fair share of the questions which have driven Jason Bourne from the beginning.

2) There's a lot of debate on exactly how this installment merges with the second film, "The Bourne Supremacy." I have my own theories, but if you haven't seen 'Supremacy' for awhile, you would do well to rent/buy it prior to 'Ultimatum.'

3) One of the best scenes in the movie finds Damon eluding authorities in Tangier while trying to track down a hired killer. The best parts find him jumping from building to building, diving into open windows and eventually finding his target.


4) The entire Bourne series features excellent up-close fighting sequences, and 'Ultimatum' features another great one as Damon squares off for an extended and brutal altercation that bests the newspaper scene in 'Supremacy.'


5) I'm a sucker for films with lots of exotic European locations, and 'Ultimatum' fits that bill as it made me want to book a flight immediately after leaving the theater (and I would if the dollar wasn't in the toilet right now).

"The Bourne Ulitmatum" is an excellent way to end this franchise. Damon continues to create a compelling character while speaking roughly 20 lines of dialogue during the entire film, and the supporting cast is top-notch.

If you needed a reason to get out of the August heat, this movie certainly provides a welcome respite and it is easily one of the best movies of the summer.

-BDS

15 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Great review. I agree- solid flick.

     
  3. Very solid, and one of the better films of the summer (which isn't say a lot, but still . . . ).

     
  4. JLee Says:
  5. It was a good flick, but I wish I had rented "Supremacy" again to refresh my memory and tie it all together better.

     
  6. vivavavoom Says:
  7. everyone I know who has seen this said it was great...and the best one! yay...they broke the threequell curse!

    ever seen United 93 by that same director? He did an amazing job with a very sensitive subject. That movie was very well done.

     
  8. Jenny Says:
  9. I'm on my way........ I haven't seen the first two, but I've been told it doesn't "really" matter?

     
  10. Jlee - I watched the first and second installments last month for that very reason as it had been awhile.

    Vivavavoom - It's semi-amazing that they broke the curse, but somebody had to. And I know about Greengrass's United 93, and I remember hearing good things about it, but I could never get myself to go see it.

    Anonymous Boxer - You don't have to see the first two before seeing Ultimatum, but you should probably go rent them afterwards and backtrack accordingly. You won't be disappointed.

     
  11. Miss Ash Says:
  12. I'll have to rent the 1st two again as it's been so freaking long since i've seen them.

     
  13. SymplyAmused Says:
  14. I finally saw the first film of the Bourne set just the other day. I now want to see them all!

     
  15. Miss Ash - You should watch them both, then go see the movie. Or just go see the movie if you get in a time crunch as you'll piece it together. I have faith.

    Symplyamused - I don't blame you. Now go rent 'Supremacy' and catch a matinee of 'Ultimatum' and you'll be in business.

     
  16. one of the cable stations has been running the bourne movies lately (i'm sure to drum up intrest in this one.)
    and united 93 was a very good movie, not as hard to watch as i expected it to be. though i kept hoping they would make it in the end even though i knew that wouldn't happen.

    and geeze, you should see the word verification i gotta type now to post this.

     
  17. vivavavoom Says:
  18. I had a hard time getting myself to watch United 93 also...and I even had an ex who starred in it. So on an alone night when I knew I could lose it at home I rented it. It was really well done and all done in real time so to speak. But there was one scene where the hijackers and the passengers are praying in different languages for the same reason that will stay with/haunt me forever. And it made me even more mad at the fed. govt and their lack of action. So I do recommend it when/if you ever want to see an exceptionally made film. Never saw that Oliver stone one....that is too much drama for me. And having lived in NYC for the first bombing and never been back since the last one, I don't need to see anymore about it. Too difficult.

     
  19. Cats - Sometimes word verification takes things to extremes, and uses extreme predjudice in doing so. And I might just have to rent 93 one of these days (and you might want to check out one of the Bourne movies just to see if they do it for you).

    Vivavavoom - That's a good synopsis, and I appreciate it (and maybe the ex was the same guy from the AmEx ad?). Anyway, my problem with it was that if it was done well, which from all accounts it was, then there would be scenes like you mentioned that would be hard to get rid of. And I never saw the Stone movie either, although if I had to pick, I would definitely catch 93 first.

     
  20. vivavavoom Says:
  21. yeah...same guy from the amex ad. supposedly he is on some new TV show with Brooke Shields...Lipstick Jungle (?)

     
  22. Linda Says:
  23. Best chase scenes ever! And Bourne always walked away ... my hero!

     
  24. Vivavavoom - I had a feeling, and I've heard of that show (but can't say I plan to watch it - I could be wrong).

    Linda - Some great ones for sure, and it's amazing how walked away every single time, eh?

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com