Followers

Blog Archive

Gwyneth Can Stuff It . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Monday, December 04, 2006

My feelings about Gwyneth Paltrow have ranged from minor irritation to flat-out loathing over the years because she has always appeared to me like she honestly believes that she is the smartest person in the room.



I have zero tolerance for condescension, especially when it's not earned, and Paltrow recently gave an interview where she threw out this gem which basically confirmed my suspicions all along.


"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner. I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans." - Gwyneth Paltrow

I wonder what exactly she considers to be "the bad side of American psychology" because in my estimation, utter pieces of cinematic crap like "Bounce," "Hush," "Duets," and "Shallow Hal" were not intellectual food for thought nor plausible attempts to make decent movies.

But then again, I guess we can't overlook the engrossing, brain-teasing, and amazingly deep film "A View From The Top" where the plight of the airline stewardess was wonderfully conceived and executed by Paltrow and Kelly Preston. I still think it was unfairly passed over for multiple Oscars that year.

For all I care, Paltrow can stay in England for as long as she wants because it's been a hell of a long time since "Shakespeare in Love" and one good turn in "The Royal Tennenbaums" can't erase enough shoddy work to lend very little credence to her views on the dimness of American society.

My advice to Paltrow would be start making better movies or simply keep your mouth closed as either of these solutions would serve to advance our culture in my estimation.

-BDS

16 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Just wait till her husband leaves her for a 21-year old American stripper. Who will have the last laugh then, Ms. Paltrow?? I thought so.

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. There's not a lot here to like. Which of, course, I'm sure, is simply a representation of my bad side of American culture.

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. All her life, she's been immersed in the wealthiest, most self-absorbed business in the world, yet she feels she can categorize ALL Americans as superficial sociopaths.

    If she were at dinner with my family, she'd have her fill of interesting conversation, but it wouldn't happen as I'd never invite such an arrogant, pretentious bitch to my house.

     
  7. Lucy Says:
  8. Hear, hear!

     
  9. Jlee - Hopefully this will happen in the speed of sound. And I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

    Bostonpobble - I agree that there's a lot of dreck running around these days, but to categorically lump it all under one banner is flat-out ridiculous.

    Wendy - That is another good point and "prententious bitch" pretty much sums up my feeling about her.

    Lucy - I like that and I'll raise you another hear (just to add something to the proceedings).

     
  10. Kayla Says:
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  
  12. Kayla Says:
  13. y....
    honey
    Although "hone" has quite a nice ring to it
    haha

     
  14. I feel the same way about Madonna. Her persona/image, apart from her Like a Virgin days, is so contrived and uninteresting and yet here she is talking about herself like she's a genius of Robert Johnson's ilk.

    its nearly too perfect how she also jumped on the adopting african children as the latest accessories craze (replacing chihuahuas and other small dogs).

    So so so contrived. the brits can have Paltrow and Madonna both.

     
  15. Rob Says:
  16. I simply love all these 'actors' who believe that they are smarter than everyone else...if she loves the brits so much stay over there and make movies....I can't tell you the last Paltrow movie I saw...if any

     
  17. Anonymous Says:
  18. Some celeb and wannabe British got you so agitated? She doesn't have the slightest clue. It's easy to talk about stuff, just like she does, when you're part of the high society.

    Well, I don't know her personally, so who am I to judge? She can die or live happily ever after for all I care.

     
  19. locomocos Says:
  20. um...is it too late to say that i liked Shallow Hal?

    I was glad she had to play against the real genius of JB and the Farrelly Brothers....

    ;D

     
  21. Kayla - I do kind of like the sound of hune, and she has made similar comments in the past that put these same qualities you mentioned on full display.

    Idig - I agree with the Madonna comparison, and if they stay across the pond for a good long while then I'm perfectly fine with that.

    Rob - That's because she hasn't made a good movie in quite awhile. You haven't missed too much.

    JC - I'm not going to lose any sleep over Gwyneth, but I'm merely sick of her making these over-the-top arrogant comments that cast her as this beacon of intelligence. Give me a break.

    Locomocos - I like the Farrelly brothers. I like Jack Black. I don't like this movie very much as I thought it could have been much funnier.

     
  22. Sherry Says:
  23. She has become quite the snob.
    And is it me, or as she gets older and more crass, she also gets uglier?

     
  24. That's an overlooked point too as she looks like utter crap in this picture, but I never found her particularly attractive.

     
  25. SamuraiFrog Says:
  26. The funny thing is, Gwyneth wasn't that far off about the stupid obnoxiousness and moronic incivility of Americans in general, and the attacks on her movie career and her looks instead of on what she actually said aren't exactly proving her wrong. The love it or leave it attitude is so Dark Ages, folks. How about fix it or shut up?

     
  27. I agree that she definitely has a point, but I just don't care for her in general.

    Sometimes it's about the messenger rather than the message.

    But I still stand by the fact that you can't lump entire groups (especially this large a one) into a bucket and assign them a characteristic.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com