Followers

Blog Archive

Attitude & Driving . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Saturday, December 09, 2006

"Life's mostly attitude and driving," - Jack Ingram

It was almost midnight as my rented Chevy Malibu passed another 18-wheeler in the darkness that surrounds the patch of I-35 south of Waco.


There is only fleeting light until you reach the outskirts of Austin, and although I had just driven 4 hours to Dallas to meet with some associates and then decided to turn right back around and drive home, I felt like a true road warrior as I smoothly navigated the broken white lines of the highway and zig-zagged my way through the sparse late-night traffic.


I typically hate driving on I-35 because it's always under construction, congested and littered with highway patrolmen just waiting to bust you for speeding.


But not last night. I was on a mission to sleep in my own bed, and despite having worked an 8 hr day and then placed my car into the shop for $1,000 worth of repairs before starting the journey, I felt like I could steer my Malibu all night long.

The Malibu was gray and nondescript, which was exactly the way I felt that night and I nicknamed her the "Silver Bullet" as we drove along the highway past numerous fast food restaurants, only stopping to use the restroom in a truck-stop gas station whose toilets smelled like they were last cleaned in the late 90s and even then only sporadically.

Still, it's an undeniably excellent sensation when you're running on coffee and it's dark outside and you just feel like driving. You seem to have a sixth sense about where the cops are lurking, and your instincts take control.

A proper soundtrack is also essential for success.

This obviously depends on your mood, and since it was cold and somewhat desolate, I went with Bob Dylan, some James McMurtry, a few tracks from Pete Yorn, and then Steve Earle brought me into Austin with a bootlegged live performance from Europe.

This was a fairly mellow mix, and it worked because I felt like letting my mind drift to parts unknown. This is the other component of the nighttime highway driving equation that I enjoy immensely.

Just turning your brain loose and letting it mix together the past, present and future as it hop-scotches between some stupid shit you pulled in high school to the project you've got due at work next week is something I like to do and don't get enough of during my daily interactions because there's always something else that demands my attention.

Things turned out well as I managed to avoid any tickets and found my way home to Austin and my own bed after spending close to 9 hours in the car.

But as Ingram once noted, attitude counts heavily with driving and last night mine was finely honed as I rode that sensation all the way up and down I-35.

-BDS

8 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Nothing like a road trip alone sometimes. I once drove that same stretch coming back from visiting a friend in Austin and as the sun set with gorgeous colors forming in the sky, I heard the song "Yellow" by Coldplay for the first time. I turned it up SO loud, and felt so much emotion as I drove along, enjoying the sights and sounds. But alas, I didn't have a Malibu :( You can't have everything I guess...

     
  3. Sometimes driving at night is very peaceful. I really think if you are driving alone it is about the soundtrack. It can make or break the drive.

     
  4. Anonymous Says:
  5. I pulled a six hour and a 7 hour shift in one day/night over Thanksgiving (went, turned around and went back) and no one seemed to get the driver's zen I talked about. Until now. See why I love you?

     
  6. Jlee - I've seen those same colors, and the mood they cast when you're driving alone can be just about perfect. As for the Malibu, you can't always get what you want and that night I wouldn't have trader her in for a Rolls Royce. Well, maybe . . .

    Sarcastic - Peaceful is a good word too, and the right music is essential as everyone needs a soundtrack.

    Slopmaster - I agree as TX driving is not very good at all in most places, and I would trade it in for the mountains in New Mexico or the water in California if I had the choice. As for the verification, we're strong sticklers for security around here (and blogger is just a pain in the ass most times).

    Bostonpobble - I undertstand implicitly that feeling, and I bet your trip was stellar. We're also about the love around here, so thank you very, very much.

     
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. Malibu? You got a Malibu? You're so lucky. My sexy orange '07 Eclipse had to go back to the dealer for a while and the stupid Hertz people gave me a freakin' TAURUS.

    Believe me, your story wouldn't have been as dreamy if you were driving a Taurus. "Silver Bullet?" No, "Silver Dreck."

     
  9. few things go together better than driving and listening to good music. Throw in a pretty girl in the mix and it doesn't get much better

     
  10. Anonymous Says:
  11. I feel like that when I drive to Lawton and back in the same day. It's daytime when I get there and night time when I finally make it home and crawl into bed. Of course, my pickup has bucket seats so I make more stops to stretch. Oh, did I mention I don't have a radio in it either? Long long trip...but I can relate. I totally like the peace and quiet. Totally.

     
  12. Wendy - I specifically requested anything but a Tauraus. Ha. I've always said I will never own a Tarus or a min-van - ever.

    Idig - That's true during the day, but sometimes it's better to be meeting one somewhere (and driving to get there) than actually having one beside you.

    Symplyamused - A little peace and quiet and reflection can be a very good thing as it sounds like you definitely know.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com