Followers

Blog Archive

Thoughts On Pirates . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Saturday, July 08, 2006

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" was the first real summer blockbuster I've seen so far, and here's a few thoughts on the experience:


1) This movie is going to make a ton of money as the theater was packed and it was showing on about 27 different screens and several were already sold out.

2) It's not quite as fun as the first time around simply because the original was such an unexpected treat. That being said, both films were far better than movies based on a Disneyland ride had any reason to be.



3) If there's a better looking trio of Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly onscreen recently I can't remember it. Those genetically-gifted bastards probably sat around on the set and argued about who was prettier between takes (my vote is for Kiera).

4) There's more chemistry between Knightly and Depp than Knightly and Bloom, who is her fiance in the movie.



5) The movie is far too long as it has no business having a 2 1/2 hour running time. This is not an epic or a subtle story that needs ample running time - it's a pirate movie.

In the end, Pirates will be a major summer hit and as far as popcorn movies go it's a cut above the field thanks to Depp's interesting choice for Capt. Jack Sparrow and enought ships, rum and blue water to make for enjoyable escapism.

-BDS

9 comments

  1. Grace Says:
  2. Mmmm... Johnny Depp. He's so damn yummy. I can't wait to see this flick. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to this weekend. I'm so excited :)

     
  3. oronde ash Says:
  4. scenes from pirates were filmed in my hometown in st. vincent and the grenadines. i will be watching the scenery more than anything. loved the first. can't wait for the next two.

     
  5. Miss Ash Says:
  6. My sister is in love with J. Depp. She asked me to go and see the movie with her as her husband doesn't want to. I'm not sure i have any interest in it, but i did borrow this hilarious Pirates of the Carribbean Bandana thing that a friend had. I told her if she wore it throughout the entire movie, then i would go with her.

     
  7. Jenni222 - I think Depp seems like a pretty cool guy, but I would warn you not to jump on his statue at the Disney ride lest you scar some kids who might also be on the ride.

    Grace - Go early because it is breaking all-time box office records and you don't want to set on the front row.

    Bygpowis - I'm jealous that you got to grow up there as I was in St. John last summer when they were filming the movies close-by and it was one of the best-looking islands and beach that I've ever been around.

    Miss Ash - I think you should make this a condition of your seeing the movie just to see what kind of depths that her devotion to Depp will allow. It's worth the admission price regardless.

     
  8. my vote goes to keira too!

     
  9. Samantha Says:
  10. Not only was the place packed but there was a line waiting to get in when we came out. But then I too would wait in line (again) to gaze at Orlando and Johnny for 2 and a half hours (yes that was waay too long). Can't wait for part three!

     
  11. Chris-el-da - I'm glad someone else was on my side in this battle.

    Samantha - I do think Part 3 will be pretty good, but let's hope they show a little restraint in the running time.

    Editors Note: I was right about the money (not that I was alone) as Pirates set the all-time box office opening weekend record with something like $132 million.

     
  12. That was a pretty sweet shot of him saying "hello beastie."

    The movie should have ended right after that.

     
  13. Our family was one of the groups that decided to see the movie. Two of us thoroughly enjoyed it and the other one was disappointed they didn't really have an ending and he would have to wait until next summer to watch it. I think we all liked it, though it did run a little long.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com