Followers

Blog Archive

Explain Yourself & Your Music . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Tuesday, May 01, 2007

{This is the first in an occasional series documenting some of the horrendous CD choices that I've made over the years with attempts to put into context/explain the rationale behind such purchases.}

I have nearly 500 CDs, which is by no means massive, and although I've weeded my collection down over the years by selling discs to used music shops and passed others away to friends, there still lurks many albums that have survived for various reasons - none of which involve any actual musical talent.

Artist: Nelson
Album: After The Rain
Times Played Since 2000: 0


Track Listing:
(Can't Live Without Your) Love & Affection
I Can Hardly Wait
After The Rain
Tracy's Song
Only Time Will Tell
More Than Ever
(It's Just) Desire
Fill You Up
Interlude
Everywhere I Go
Bits & Pieces
Will You Love Me?
Too Many Dreams (Import Bonus Track)
Keep One Heart (Import Bonus Track)

Matthew and Gunnar Nelson, the Barbie Twins of rock had a minor hit with "Love and Affection" many years ago, and I believe that I bought this album somewhere around middle school, which should allow for mitigating circumstances as this was a bad time period for clothes, hair and especially music.


If two guys looked less like rockers than Nelson, I can't think of them. These guys were sporting some of the longest, most bleached hair around when this album was recorded, and just seemed like the kind of sensitive Southern California boys that your Mom would like for her daughter to bring home (the fact that they could all share hair tips was probably just an added bonus).

The only rationale I have for this album choice was that I must have been trying to seduce some girl through the romantic, heartfelt stylings of "Love and Affection." It seemed like a sincere choice at the time, and the title track wasn't half-bad either if I remember correctly.

But that doesn't explain why it's still around my collection, an outcome I refuse to ponder too closely lest I be tempted to throw it in the player and really feel bad about my decision.

-BDS

14 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. I'll play along. I bought Women in Technology by White Town. It had that minor-minor hit Your Woman. And I bought it because I love that crappy song.

     
  3. JLee Says:
  4. You know you wanted to look like them. Pink coat and all. Admit it!

    I'm notorious for giving stuff away all the time, so I don't have any cds I can think of offhand...

     
  5. Can Nelson be all bad? One of them was on Celebrity Fit Club last year (I think it was Gunnar). Plus they play "Love and Affection" on XM Radio's Big Tracks, so maybe it wasn't such a bad decision.

     
  6. Melissa Says:
  7. Give in, play it. You know you want to.

     
  8. WhatIgot - That rings a vague bell in my head, and sounds right up the alley of this post.

    Jlee - My pink coat is in storage except for very, very special occassions.

    Sarcastic - I didn't realize the fit club association, and I haven't heard that song for years (yet am not too surprised it's still getting spun on the air)

    Melissa - You're right. Once the thought enters the head, it's hard to suppress.

     
  9. Jenny Says:
  10. It was Gunnar on celebrity and there was an episode when he cut his hair (not as long as on the cover of their CD.) It was kinda hot.

     
  11. That seems like a cheap way to lose weight - shave that mop of hair you had. Ha. But then again, whatever works, eh?

     
  12. Those are GUYS?

     
  13. Miss Ash Says:
  14. I actually spit my iced cappuccino all over my desk when I saw the album cover....no joke!!

    I owned that tape, as well I went to see Nelson in concert and I went to a tape haha signing way way way back when. My poor mother accompanied me, I was 12.

     
  15. Wendy - Technically. Barely.

    Miss Ash - Ahhh, so you understand the rationale then. Ha. I didn't go to a tape signing, but I'm sure it only enhanced things. Sorry about the desk.

     
  16. I'm trying to figure out if those are guys or chicks. No, no, don't tell me.

     
  17. That's part of the fun I suppose. Or maybe not . . . too close to call.

     
  18. Unknown Says:
  19. My sister had that album too, we thought they were sexy back then. :/

     
  20. We all make mistakes, eh? I think you were not alone as they had a small run of popularity right around the time this album was released.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com