Followers

Blog Archive

Brokeback Buying In Best Buy . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I didn't feel particularly manly today when I set my DVDs in front of the Best Buy cashier.

His barely contained smirk didn't help matters as he scanned "Brokeback Mountain" and "Be Here To Love Me," a documentary about Texas troubadour Townes Van Zandt into the computer.



I could see in his eyes that he knew I would also take the free offer of the "Brokeback Mountain" screenplay book which lay next to him on the counter.

At least he didn't make any brokeback jokes, however, because they were funny for awhile, but now they're dead as dogshit or Sharon Stone's career. Take your pick.

I was surprised at how good "Brokeback Mountain" was because I was initially skeptical and felt it was probably getting rave reviews for the novelty of being a "gay cowboy" movie rather than on its own artistic merits.

But I was wrong.

It deserved every award it received and was also better than "Crash," Oscar's pick for best picture of the year. Of course, "Capote" and "A History of Violence" were also better than "Crash," but that's neither here nor there.

My only hope is that a female sequel to Brokeback is lurking in some studio right now, and if so, I say go ahead and here's my idea for the casting.



The acting might not be up to par, but the tent scene would make it all worthwhile.

-BDS

3 comments

  1. julia Says:
  2. genocide is what i was referring to with the cheese sandwich bit. the meaninglessness of the word after overuse (and underuse) and multiple instances of complicity on the part of the West. (it's from a book)

    and i had the same reservations about brokeback. i guess you could say i still do, since i have yet to see it.

    and after four years of studying exactly the kinds of social relationships that crash attempted to shock the world with, i just didn't find it all that shocking (good film tho)

    /end very long comment.
    thanks for reading.

     
  3. Thanks for dropping by, and I completely agree with your Crash assesment. It wasn't bad, but it was far from revelatory and cheese sandwich mystery is solved.

     
  4. I thought it was excellent, although I went in with lower expectations because of the tremendous amount of hype that is had already received. It's a somewhat slow and sparse movie, but ultimately it builds to something extremely worthwhile.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com