Followers

Blog Archive

4 Score And Nearly 700 Posts Ago . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Monday, October 20, 2008

Today marks the 4th year since $2 Dollar Productions appeared as a functioning blog.

The first year was questionable at best as I had very few clues as to what blogging entailed, however, it all began with this post:

I just arrived back to the U.S. after a tour through Italy and Ireland , red wine and Guinness and too many public bathrooms where you had to pay to enter. But it's nice to come back and find this thing off and running and chronicling our attempt to write and sell a comedy script from the ground up. We'll see. In the meantime, a brutal and savage re-write is needed before anyone should be subjected to actually reading this thing.

That entry referenced the first screenplay that my brother and I wrote - "Last Train to Amsterdam." I still have a strong fondness for it as the script was an ensemble comedy that came within 1 lousy, stinking point of the semi-finals of the International Screenwriting Awards contest. Selah.

One thing I've truly enjoyed about this experience is that blogs are very rarely static creatures. They evolve and take shape as the person who writes them undergoes shifts in their own life and those sea changes provide interesting glimpses into their view of the world. But more than that, it runs the gamut with times of perverse laughter, overwhelming joy, bouts of irritation, crippling anger and just about every emotion in between.

It's been the journey along the way that remains interesting to me.

$2 Dollar Productions was originally meant to be a blog about screenwriting, and a forum for us to get our ideas out to a larger community than Austin, TX. It became quickly apparent that this scope was both too limiting and too boring to write about or to read.

Since then, this blog has chronicled Hollywood events, my fitness modeling odyssey to NYC, erotic photography, drunken Vikings, movie reviews, discussions on monogamy, travel destinations, workplace debauchery, and a second screenplay that is currently kicking around very slowly on the West Coast.

662 posts have been needed to cover those topics and many others and I've enjoyed it immensely along the way.

The other piece of the equation is the blogging community at large. This is by far the richer, more satisfying blogging perk as I can think of no other forum that would have allowed me to come into contact with so many different people spread around the world. From the United States up north to Canada, across the pond to the U.K. and then onto Australia and beyond, it's been a privilege and a hell of a lot of fun peering into the thoughts of others.

The topics and tones vary widely, however, if you pay attention to the details then you can get a fortunate glimpse into different ways of looking at the world.

4 years have come and gone so quickly that I'm still a bit shocked by the figures. I have no crystal ball nor the ability to see how long $2 Dollar Productions will keep the doors open and how it might change as life it ownself rears its ugly head. For now, I'll finish with a collection of my favorite images from the start of $2 Dollar Productions until October 20,2008.

I hope you enjoy them as I'm taking off the remainder of the week until Quick Hit Friday pulls me back into the blogging vortex because Hollywood never takes a day off.

-BDS





















16 comments

  1. Heff Says:
  2. I've actually gone back in your archives and quickly realized that the motive behind "2 Dollar Productions" has changed over the years. Still, 4 years is 4 years. Congrats.

     
  3. JLee Says:
  4. Sunsets, boobs, dildos and shit always leave me a little misty. ha
    Congratulations and here's to at least 4 more years of $2 Dollar Productions.

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. The viking posts have been my favourites for quite some time.

    Well, other than the erotic images of women. But that's a gimme.

     
  7. Jenny Says:
  8. You were one of the early bloggers and it says a lot about your writing and ability to change to have reached such a milestone.

    Jlee says it best; sunsets and boobs... yup, that's 2$!

    Have a great week.

     
  9. Anonymous Says:
  10. 4 Score would be 80 years. Not 4.

     
  11. BostonPobble Says:
  12. I have to admit, I was a wee bit concerned this was a eulogy. Glad to discover it was (beautiful and well-written) retrospective.

    And I'm too pleased for words that our worlds crossed.

     
  13. Egads! That severed penis and scrotum sitting on an operating tray frightened me. At the same time, it made me appreciate the fact that no woman has ever gone Loreena Bobbitt on me

    **knocks on wood**

     
  14. Linda Says:
  15. Happy Blog-iversary! I remember most of those photos. (That blown glass exhibit is here in RI, gotta get to it) Fun reading here. I agree with you on the "community aspect". I look forward to reading the comments here ALMOST as much as reading the posts. Thanks for being reciprocal as well, always nice to have you visit at my blog. (my 4th blog-iversary is in a few weeks!) Here's to many more posts at 2 Dollar Productions, I'll be out here reading!

     
  16. Miss Ash Says:
  17. Congrats on 4 great years!! You have a wonderful way with words and I find myself laughing out loud often while reading this blog.

    My fav pic is the naughty teacher! I strive to be just like her :)

     
  18. Karen Says:
  19. Wow that is brilliant B. Congratulations. Just a quick question. Is that you in the shot under the severed penis because there is definitely a resemblance? That's a rocking bod whoever it belongs to.

    It's been an absolute pleasure reading you blog, it's one of a few "must reads" that I still have. You know how much I love QHF and I also enjoy the Corporate Etiquette posts. Keep on blogging and I'll keep reading even when I'm not blogging myself :)

     
  20. nobich Says:
  21. 4 years!!! You're the only blog I still read regularly. xxoo

     
  22. Grace Says:
  23. Happy 4yr Anniversary! You're way ahead of me :)

    Congrats!

     
  24. vivavavoom Says:
  25. I recognized 5 of those so I have been reading your blog for awhile and am so fortunate to have stumbled on it from either Jlee or Cassie..can't remember who(m). Have a great week!

     
  26. Congrats!!!

     
  27. Hermes Says:
  28. And here's to many more years. How could we survive without concise, honest and insightful movie reviews? Congratulations. Happy fourth.

     
  29. Blogger Says:
  30. Did you know you can create short links with LinkShrink and make dollars from every visitor to your short links.

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com