Followers

Blog Archive

Warehouse Tales Volume 2 . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Wednesday, February 25, 2009

After the banana peel incident, I probably should have left, however, I decided to enter the battle zone anyway.


Luckily, this “preview day” was far less crowded than usual, so I walked around with Blackberry in hand since I had ducked out of work early. I had one specific item in mind to purchase which is a poor idea at these kinds of things because it is a random hodge-podge of inventory scattered around an enormous warehouse.

I circled the perimeter and my mind was still pondering the banana peel and generally spaced out when I heard a female voice call out my name with a question mark implication. Looking up, I found myself staring into the face of an Alpha Delta Pi who I dated for a short while during college, nearly 12 years ago.


But I did remember her name, and said “Hi Wendy.”

I was mainly glad to have recalled her name, but also that she seemed glad to see me. This was no small item since I dated her during what I term my “dark period” in college following the break-up with my high school girlfriend during freshman year. The period was marked with rampant carousing, alcohol, broken promises, Jack in the Box runs at 2:30 a.m., and continued until I met my future wife. On the plus side, it did produce some lasting stories that my best friend and I still discuss today, however, it also caused more than one person – typically female – to accuse me of being a flaming asshole even though I was never intentionally nasty about anything, just somewhat ridiculous in my behavior.


Anyway, Wendy was one of the nicest girls I dated and we must have parted on decent terms. We spent the next ten minutes catching up on life post-college, mutual friends, etc. and then came the awkward part. We both live in Austin, were friendly and yet I didn’t feel like asking for her phone number to grab a “let’s catch up over lunch” sometime offer. This “lunch” would probably never occur, but it seemed like it was expected for me to ask.

But I didn’t and it felt awkward.

I have been trying to cut through some amount of obligation and misguided social expectations these past few years. Time is at a premium, and I now turn down more offers than I accept. A lunch would have been fine, but nothing exciting as we had already caught up on our paths since college and were off the market as far as hooking up, so carving out time to eat seemed like a colossal waste of time to me.


Maybe I’m wrong, and should have asked for her number even with no intention of using it. Instead, I ended with something lame like “Well, if I ever join Facebook, then maybe I’ll see you around there.” Lame.

All in all, it was a hell of an eventful warehouse sale in which I bought absolutely nothing.

-BDS

16 comments

  1. Heff Says:
  2. Actually, I think you handled that situation PERFECTLY, awkward as it may have been.

     
  3. JLee Says:
  4. You should definitely avoid that warehouse at all costs in the future. haha
    It is awkward, but best to leave well enough alone, especially when you've dated the person. They may think there's some lingering flame there and get the wrong idea. One of my ex's tried to add me as a friend on Facebook and got mad when I declined him. Awkward!!

     
  5. I find it interesting that there are young Wendys around, given that most of them are my age, which I'm thinking is about 15 years older than you. Wendy is such a 1960s name. Glad to see it recycled.

    Anyway, even though I've been happily married for a long time, I have the ridiculously pathological fear that I'll see an old boyfriend on the one day of the year that I am not wearing makeup, my hair is tied up in a bandanna, and I have on ratty sweatpants.

    I congratulate your Wendy for being presentable.

     
  6. Heff - Sometimes I guess it's best to leave things awkward versus doing something for appearances sake. But it doesn't make it any less awkward. Ha.

    Jlee - I know, and I didn't even get something for cheap to lessen the blows. Ha. That rationale was why I figured I didn't need the number, and your Facebook story is one reason I figure that it could lead to awkward situations. I also think I'm just being contrarian (sp?) at this point about not joining.

     
  7. Wendy - Flew by you in Cyberspace . . . I think that is a common worry about running into old boyfriends/girlfriends as I got home and looked in the mirror and thought 'I should have shaved today after all.' Ha. And I also have a bias towards people who share my first name (when spelled correctly).

     
  8. Jenny Says:
  9. I reconnected with a male friend from H.S.(did not date) in my early 30's. We DID have that lunch and it was a waste of time. What happens after lunch? Is there another lunch? Do you suggest a double date with the spouses? If we were truly meant to remain friends wouldn't we have never lost contact? I agree that time IS precious and as I get older I tend to protect it more and more. I think you handled it honestly and there's nothing wrong with that.

     
  10. Linda Says:
  11. After a little practice it becomes less awkward to just part by saying, "nice to see you, take care!" No need for any follow-up in that situation. You were exactly right. BTW, banana peel story pretty funny. If that were me, I would have been on my ass on that sidewalk. You may not have found any furniture, but you got a few good stories out of the trip!

     
  12. nobich Says:
  13. I agree with Linda- Nice to see ya!
    otherwise she may or may not get the wrong idea ( you are married after all ) Let it go.

     
  14. Too bad you didn't have any single friends in tow. You could've passed her onto one of them. Then again, taking a guy friend with you to a furniture expo would be kind of gay.

     
  15. Boxer - Thank you. I agree 100% up and down the line here, but I'm glad you had the lunch because it is just a solid proof point that nothing good comes of it. As you mentioned, what, a second lunch? Nope. And yes, I am still in contact with 98% of the people from high school and college that I want to be, so I feel fairly content.

    Linda - That's a good line. I will have to employ/steal it for the next time this kind of thing happens - and it will, it's just a matter of time I suppose. Thanks on the banana peel, and you're right as I'll take a few good stories over a piece of furniture I don't really need any day of the week.

    Nobich - Yep. I thought that could give a mistaken impression, and it was the final nail in the coffin of NOT asking for it. Ha. I'm fine letting this one flutter away . . .

    Native Minnow - True, but she was only going to be single until about May when she was getting married, so the window would be short. Still, it's a point well taken, and I had to laugh at the last statement because I would much rather shop alone than bring a male friend with me as that seems like a losing proposition. Ha.

     
  16. vivavavoom Says:
  17. omigod I must admit that was a lame ass ending the "facebook thing" but also fuckin hilarious!! I think the ex thing is so sticky and you were right to just let it go no lunch, nada...but the facebook line...love it...
    I have a facebook acct and have ex's on there but only those that I have managed to have a cordial no weird vibes relationship with. But I doubt I would be going out to lunch with any of them because they all live in different states. My husband on the other hand has most of his exs here...and girls are bizarre that way. They expect him to write him back right away and 'poke' him and send him stuff. he doesn't do any of it. it can be like high school all over again on facebook...very bizarre.

     
  18. Miss Ash Says:
  19. I suppose it's much better that you didn't ask for her number as you had no intention of using it.....she would have moved you into the asshole category as many others had done before. Ha!!

    And the facebook line...super lame you should have given the "great to catch up perhaps we'll see each other around some time" and bolt.

    Did you purchase anything? (I forget if you mentioned that)

     
  20. Hermes Says:
  21. I feel for you but I have to admit that this was worth quite a laugh. Facebook. Ha. On the bright side, you probably burned a bridge and may never have to be in that situation with this particular person ever again. She might now think you are a flaming asshole but sometimes that's for the best.

     
  22. Vivavavoom – I know – lame. But in small defense, there was talk about Facebook during our conversation so it wasn’t entirely out of left field. Ha. But still . . . it could have been much smoother I admit. As for your own Facebook, that sounds easier if you exes are states away, and not so much if they happen to live nearby. The whole thing seems like such a time suck too, and I barely have enough to cover this blog and read others, so I worry about that as well.

    Miss Ash – Unfortunately, I bought absolutely nothing, just ran into old girlfriends & slid on banana peels. Ha. I should have come up with a better ending line, but see above comment for some small bit of background for the comment. And yes, at least I might have avoided moving firmly into the asshole category by refraining from asking for the number, but then again, I might have offended her and moved into it anyway. Problems, eh?

    Getoffmylawn – You’re right that sometimes being a flaming asshole, or at least regarded as one, can have its merits. I figure the odds of running into her again are fairly slim as this is the first time and I’ve been back in town nearly 4 years now. If not, it might yield another story when she calls me a ‘flaming asshole’ and stalks off.

     
  23. Anonymous Says:
  24. I don't know why but I have a real aversion to Facebook. I can't tell you how many times in the past month alone people have asked me why I don't join. I'm starting to feel like it's some kind of sign. I don't know a lot about it but from what I've heard it sounds a bit lame.


    I'm proud of you for not asking for a number you had no intention of using because that really would be pointless and dishonest.


    Loved the banana skin story. I honestly thought that was an urban myth. Thanks for proving it isn't.

     
  25. Ok - the facebook comment was pretty lame-o, but at least she was clear that you were fine with leaving things right there at the warehouse. Besides - if she felt like doing any more catch up, she could have asked you to lunch.

    And think about how awkward that moment would have been, knowing that you weren't interested in lunch, let alone another 5 minutes!

     

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com