Followers

Blog Archive

Take The Time . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Monday, January 24, 2005

I was reading an article in USA Today that discussed the new Clint Eastwood film "Million Dollar Baby" when I got pissed off and consumed by anger.

The movie is excellent and easily one of the year's best, but it seems some people were agitated that the film's trailer had led them astray and that the national critics hadn't prepared them for a twisty movie that was nowhere near as cheery as they expected.

On the contrary, I have been impressed by many publications for almost universally putting a lock on the film's secrets. And I would have it no other way.

Now, I know that some people might actually want to know a film's secrets prior to viewing, but that's not what makes me angry. No. What makes me angry is this asinine indignant attitude that these moviegoers expressed because they had no forewarning of any danger.

My advice would be to get off your lazy ass and read something about a movie before you go see it. Don't just assume that you'll like it because it has one of your favorite stars in it.

When I went to see "Closer" I watched numerous people walk out during the movie, largely I'm guessing because when they bought a ticket they thought they were seeing a typical sunny Julia Roberts movie. Instead, they walked into a very good film that was dark and challenging and vulgar.

A simple reading of any plot synopsis in any review in America could have averted this problem.

Another rule to remember is check out who directed the movie. In aforementioned "Million Dollar Baby," it would be hard to miss that Clint Eastwood starred in and directed the movie. If you know anything about Eastwood's recent track record (the grim "Mystic River") you might have had an inkling that he hasn't been letting loose with too many jokes lately.

Another example of this occurred after I saw "The Life Aquatic." I was walking to the bathroom after the movie when a woman ahead of me said "That was the weirdest and the worst movie I've ever seen."

That was a bold statement, but it was her use of 'weirdness' that irked me. The movie is certainly quirky, but in the realm of Wes Anderson films it is perfectly reasonable and would rest comfortably among "Rushmore" and "The Royal Tenenbaums" (except for the truly bizarre pirate sequence in 'Aquatic').

Anyway, she thought she'd see the movie because of Bill Murray, but then she got blindsided by jaguar sharks, general Willem Dafoe weirdness, and a crusty, pot-smoking Murray - a man she thought she would like better.

If only she had known who directed the film she might have saved the $9 admission.

But I'm beginning to think that I'm taking USA Today way too seriously these days.

-BDS









I



0 comments

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com