Followers

Blog Archive

The O.C. is O.K. Even With Mischa Barton

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Friday, February 04, 2005

I didn't want to like "The O.C." when it debuted last year.

My position was mostly due to a long-standing allegiance to the seminal "Beverly Hills 90210" of my youth. I loved Brandon, Donna, Kelly, Steve with his outlandish pompadour and especially Luke Perry, whose Dylan McKay was the man I wish I could have been in high school (i.e. driving a vintage Porsche, living alone in plush hotels or pimped-out houses and screwing anything that moves as long as she was good-looking).

But it is with grudging respect that I have to admit that not only is "The O.C." watchable, but it seems to be getting better. Besides, you have to respect a show where one of two main parental figures (Peter Gallagher) is complimented repeatedly by an old flame for his ability to manufacture bongs out of almost anything. Screw his lawyer skills, the man can make a bong like nobody's business.

Even more astounding is that after last night's episode even Mischa Barton is showing signs that her acting might be rising above the deplorably bad level thanks to her new lesbian storyline.

Mischa Barton has always been the show's weakest link as far as I'm concerned. This is mostly due to her vapid acting style which mostly consists of her looking completely vacant; a persistent method that renders her wholly unbelievable whether she's ordering coffee, yelling at her parents or screwing the lawn boy.

But last night she showed signs of reaching new levels of mediocrity. By that I mean that at least she wasn't distractingly bad, and I'm holding out a small hope that this might continue.

Miracles can happen my friends.

Regardless, I plan on watching next week to see if my theory is correct. Besides, the promos from Fox tell me that I absolutely cannot miss "the last five minutes" of next week's episode.

Their breathless tease can really only mean one thing - sexy girl-on-girl kissing. Oh, Fox I would have never expected it from your network you classy bastards.

-BDS





0 comments

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com