Followers

What is Funny?

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Saturday, November 06, 2004

Since returning from my recent European vacation, I just wasn't feeling well and couldn't shake my pervasive sense of discomfort. After a careful analysis, however, it seemed that a lack of decent food in Ireland combined with a massive consumption of Guinness (to alleviate the food problem of course) was to blame for my condition. Guinness is good for you or so I'd read, but almost anything when carried to extremes is bad for the body, mind and soul.

A few days ago I decided that a thorough purging was the only way to cleanse my body and de-toxify my system. The only question was how?

The system I developed would probably work for anyone with a similar malady, but I would only recommend this course of action for dedicated masochists or the physically and spiritually strong among us.

While I was on vacation, my Tivo had remained active and by active I mean that it had decided to record shows it felt I should view upon my return. As luck would have it, I came back to find multiple episodes of "According to Jim" saved on my Tivo.

Just as a I was about to delete them to make room for watchable shows like "Arrested Development," I realized I had found a source for my much needed purging. So, instead of sending them to the garbage, I cued up the first episode and soldiered through 2 1/2 shows before succombing to the barrage.

I saw Jim get shirtless far too much and even more disturbing was trying to watch poor Courtney Thorne Smith try and look smitten with Jim's mental and physical charms.

I won't say this course of action was easy, but it was simple and that was the beauty of the plan. If there's one thing I learned in Vietnam was that once a plan gets too complicated . . .

Anyway, after surviving this voluntary project I not only felt better physically, but I also felt better about our screenplay. "According to Jim" has been on the air for years now, which means that obviously several people find it amusing and entertaining on a weekly basis.

I figure that if there's room for Jim out there in the comedy universe, then there's room for us. And that is an encouraging thought when you're still facing a sizable re-write on a script you've read so many times that you're not even sure what's funny anymore.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

-BDS






0 comments

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com