Followers

One Remaining Ford, But Beware Of Wet Fishes . . .

Posted by 2 Dollar Productions Sunday, February 12, 2006

I still like Harrison Ford even if I haven't cared about one of his movies since he did "The Fugitive" back in 1993.

Since fleeing from Tommy Lee Jones, however, Ford has played several fairly interchangable roles in hits ("Air Force One," "What Lies Beneath") misses ("K-19: The Widowmaker"(abysmal title)) and debacles like "Hollywood Homicide" where he was forced to reveal his comedic chops AND try to act like he could actually respect Josh Hartnett as a man - a feat which would have surely netted Ford an Oscar nomination if he could have successfully pulled it off.

Ford's new film, "Firewall," opened Friday and it looks servicable if wholly unoriginal. The plot is another one of those "do what I want or I'll hurt your family" types with Ford as an angry bank executive and Paul Bettany slumming as the titular bad guy.

I have no plans to see "Firewall," but I was reminded why I still like Harrison Ford so much after reading an interview he did with the Austin American Statesman.

The intent of the Q&A was seemingly to promote his new film despite Ford's curmudgeonly reputation for publicity. The interview quickly went downhill, however, as the tone was combatitive from the start and it never recovered as Ford gave several short, sarcastic and finally downright bizarre answers.

Some exchanges from the interview went like this:

Q: Is it time for you to stretch a bit? Haven't we seen this character before? Apparently, if you're asking that kind of question.

Q: Any opinions on the war? Not for you.

Q: Anything in particular you want to talk about? No, but thanks so much for the opportunity.

And my personal favorite:

Q: According to popularity polls and magazine pronouncements over the years, you're one of the most popular, sexiest, most talented and magnificent people who ever lived. That doesn't mean anything.

Q: But it's nice? It's better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish, but it doesn't get you through the day.

The wet fish line caused me to laugh out loud during my breakfast due to the hilarious visual nature of the comment.

Then, I started to wonder if this practice of hitting strangers with dripping sea creatures was commonplace in Hollywood. Just because I'd never experienced the sensation didn't mean it wasn't out there and it might be a real, everyday problem for mega-stars like Ford.

After reading the piece, I instictively realized why I still like Harrison Ford and also why the interviewer should have cut him some slack for his gruff demeanor.

I don't care if you were Han Solo and Indiana Jones, a daily routine that forced you to examine the potential motives of strangers, who might also be wielding dripping fish guts intended for your exposed belly, would drive anyone to misanthropy.

-BDS

0 comments

About Me


Contact Us

You can reach us by email at twodollarproductions@live.com